USA Truck, Inc. - Van Buren, Ar.?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by mykel58, Aug 22, 2006.

1. boaterer

boaterer Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Batavia, Ohio
    Hi All!

Just checking in... ended the third week of training and I leave early AM for my fourth & final week. Everything is going pretty darn well. They give you a workbook to complete during your training time. I just finished that. It has a few questions that are pretty easy, but the biggest part of it is to trip plan/logging a run that lasts about 5 days. You do it all on paper and log sheets. Seems to be a great exercise for the newbie. I learned a lot.

I feel pretty much ready for this solo driving stuff. After this last week of training, I'm scheduled for testing on Monday, March 3rd, back in Vandalia, OH. The testing is supposed to be 3 tests.... a Map/Logging Trip Test, a Road Test, and a Pad Maneuvers Test. It's supposed to take up most of the day and if I pass, they will issue me a truck and send me out solo (usually in that same day).

Snow was a bit of a problem again this week in PA. Thursday night we found ourselves in a whiteout (blizzard) condition for about two hours. We crawled through it with seemingly every other truck in the world. Once we got down off of the mountains, it cleared up and we went on to ME. Interesting to say the least... there was a Smith Transport and a CRST, both jackknifed at different locations, taking up about two of three lanes, so everything was at a crawl. That probably saved more drivers from crashes actually!?!?

Hope that floating is going good Marty! They let us do both methods in school (small community college). Alaskan is right... only a matter of time before you float most everything!

Mark

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mArTmAn

mArTmAn Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Greenville, MS
    Hey didn't get to float at all this last week but I did get my cdl so now I am getting ready for orientation next week. Its good your getting some real experience. So tell me how is life sharing a truck with the trainer?

Stay safe out there now!

Marty

4. truckin4practice

truckin4practice Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2007
    What kind of retraining do you need? Where do you want to run and how much hometime? USA is a good carrier but you need to know what you want and make sure it is a good fit for you.

5. boaterer

boaterer Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Batavia, Ohio
    Marty,

Hope orientation and training are going well! Congrats on the new license!! Would like to hear when you get home and get a chance!

----------------------------
    Update for week 4 of training

Pretty much the same on all counts except I'm now finished. At least I'm finished if I pass my upgrade test tomorrow (Monday, 3/4/07). I'm supposed to start the tests at 06:30, so it's an early start. If everything goes well they should issue me a truck late tomorrow and send me out on the road. I'll keep updating over the weeks as this all happens.

See ya all!
    Mark

6. boaterer

boaterer Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Batavia, Ohio
    Hi All,

Another update... I passed the tests yesterday and I'm now set for assignment and a truck. They send me home for a few days off. I called the manager and he said I could call in a couple days to get a truck and start driving. I'm anxious to get going.

The test weren't too bad. One for backing, a driving test for about a half hour, and a mapping/logging test. These are pretty straight forward once you've completed CDL school, orientation, and 4 weeks of training. Nothing to worry about or complain about. If anyone has specific questions, I'll try to help. Probably be leaving again in a couple days for otr work.

Mark

7. grayco

grayco Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Hey everyone;new to this site & have already learned so much.Thanks!I am thinking about going with USA Trucking.Have read some good and not so good things about that company.I have been intrigued with boaterer.I see he is just finishing up with training with USA.Congrats,boaterer!!!Please keep us posted on how things are going out there.Any advice on trucking in general would be greatly appreciated.Especially concerning size.I am petite female-5'2 100 lbs.

8. lmccracken

lmccracken Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Has anyone heard good or bad about a company out of Iowa called Foodliner?

9. boaterer

boaterer Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Batavia, Ohio
    Hi grayco,

I'm not sure I can offer anything more than you will find all through this website for the "advise on trucking in general".

I'll continue updating this thread into the future, since it seems like it may provide an overview of one experience in entering the industry (and it's kinda fun) <grin>.

If you're concerned about your size being a problem in driving a truck, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've seen a few, and heard about a lot more females.. and males, of smallish stature that have been very successful.
    A pretty good story....
    Some (rather small) girl, out of Canada, put a rig into a parking space last week, up in Maine. (At least her truck had some Canadian name on it.) As it was happening my trainer commented, "It'll never go into that space." I was thinking the same thing. Neither of us could see the driver at that time. The truck got parked almost effortlessly. The driver got out to go into the truck stop. The driver couldn't have been any bigger than you and yes, she was a female.

Back to advice on trucking...
    I'm obviously brand new at this, so take my opinions for Only what they're worth: In the last few months I've heard all kinds of things about all kinds of situations, and companies, and trucks, and people, and on and on. With a few exceptions, there seems to be a common thread here... it is going to be exactly what you make it. Your attitude is THEE most important thing in the way it all works. You start out at some company that's willing to train you (thank God), you get some experience, then you either choose to stay there or you find a better place. I'm 54 years old and have been through at least three other career types over the years. So far, this industry is no different than any other I've seen. There are lots of great people and you can have a lot of fun... if you just have a positive outlook. Later, if it's not exactly what you're looking for, change it! By then you'll have the experience that allows you to write your own ticket.

USA Truck...
    I found the people at the Orientation and Training and the Terminal in Vandalia, Ohio to be very helpful! They are professional, they call you Sir, and you feel like you're being served, rather than being ordered around. I've not come up with a request yet that hasn't been addressed. They either explain why something can't happen (due to policy or logistics), or they give you what your asking for. It's been a very positive experience so far!

Question....
    Do you have a CDL yet? Thinking about a school? What's your status?
    ------------------------

Hi lmccracken,

Sorry I've not heard anything about Foodliner in Iowa!?!? You will probably get a limited exposure in this thread though... you might want to start a thread with that company name in the Subject Line. Then, users that are just scanning thread subjects, might see it and have some input (greater exposure). Good luck on your search!

Mark

10. grayco

grayco Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2007
    :biggrin_25514: thx boaterer,really appreciate any/all your input from your experiences with USA.No,I haven't gotten CDL-yet.I have studied & researched til I am almost sick of it all.I know everything about driving a truck except physically getting in one and driving!I know that will be NO problem whatsoever,though!I am very fast learner & take pride in everything I do!I have researched and compared everything about almost every comapny & driving academy out there.USA still keeps coming back to 'haunt'me.One reason is because training takes place in Ohio,which is not very far from me.Any info from you,boaterer,or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.Stay safe out there ALL truckers!!!

11. Breezly357

Breezly357 Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Willowick, Ohio
    I to have plans to go with usa. recent cdl school grad.in ohio and have my cdl-a license. haven't seen much about usa hope thats good i dont like the idea bout moving around too soon. been reading alot in this forum and its been a real help thanks to all who'v posted. I try to post as offen as poss. I start 03/13/2007 and will post when i can. be safe out there.

breezly357

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.