Use tax

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JC1971, Jul 11, 2020.

1. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    Has anyone ever been hit with this buy their state government? I bought a cell phone and didn't save the receipt and report it. I just don't want to get a notice five years from now owing for tax and penalty. I don't if the states are running computer programs to check credit and debit card purchases made out of state.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I don't think I would worry about it. People could always use a pre-paid card to get around it. But then again you are in Cali.

4. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    ???? explain that to me, I've never heard of such a thing. You bought a cell phone (big deal good for you) report that to who, for what?

Opendeckin Thanks this.
  5. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    [QUOTE="mover man, post: 10437952, member: 39393"]???? explain that to me, I've never heard of such a thing. You bought a cell phone (big deal good for you) report that to who, for what?[/QUOTE]
    Use tax is the sales tax that a state is "entitled" to receive when you make purchases out of state, whether in person, online, or through the mail. Where I live, the sales tax is over 10% and I bought the call phone in Oregon where the sales tax is 0%. The use tax is intended to prevent people from doing this and making sure the state gets its "fair share", especially with high dollar items like vehicles.

Now, how they discover this, whether through an audit or if they have a computer that can check credit card transactions, I don't know. I wasn't even trying to avoid the sales tax, I just really needed a phone.

6. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    As a long time resident of Vancouver, Wa. Who would buy ALL big ticket Item in no tax Portland, OR.

It may be the law but no one cares.
    NO ONE is reporting to California what you buy in Oregon....

7. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Most major online sellers, such as Ebay and Amazon, have started to collect taxes due to each state and supposedly remit them to each state. The tax is based on where the shipment is sent to. This has slowed some sales on major seller's but the same deals (less the tax) can be found if one takes the time to look.
    In California there is a line on their state tax return where you are supposed to list any out of state purchases and remit the tax for those purchases. My cousin, who lives up in Northern CA has told me she doesn't know anyone who actually fills that line in.

flood Thanks this.
  8. Rickp

Rickp Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Ward, AR
    Only time ive personally seen a use tax hit was when a place i worked ordered a high ticket item that had to clear customs. It trighered an audit by the state.

9. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I use a VPN and the prices are different to depending which proxy server I decide to use. Even steam does this now and their products are completely digital.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.