Used equipment prices

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SteveScott, Sep 24, 2021.

1. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    Funny you bring up the phone thing. Do you remember when folks would literally camp on sidewalks for days to get the new I-Phone when it came out. That is the definition of insanity there. The great social experiment here is going to be younger people, folks 30 and under. Those are the folks who demand the newest and latest gadget the second they catch wind of it. Now there is an actual term for people that can't be without their phone. Like when kids (high school) have meltdowns when they had their phones taken away during class. Human behavior is a funny thing.

Speed_Drums and jason6541 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Are there actually people out there paying 50-70K for used trucks right now with up to 720,000 miles on it?

bzinger Thanks this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Had dinner with my daughter's family last night in Oregon. Her husband is the head of the road maintenance department for a city up there, and they've had to suspend all repaving projects for the rest of the year because they can't get parts for the paving machines. They're just patching potholes for now. There are supply shortages of parts for everything across the country.

Told my daughter to stock up a 4 week supply of canned goods and bottled water. There is going to be a tipping point where there aren't enough running available trucks to haul freight and the supply chain could collapse quickly. Fortunately, they live in a rural area and own plenty of guns, so nobody will be taking their supplies, but cities could get nasty really quick if people can't get food. Not trying to be a doomsday conspiracy theory nut, but we're kind of seeing the beginnings of it happening now with close to 100 ships stacked up off the ports in southern California. If you O/O's see rates double or triple overnight, be very concerned about the supply chain. That means shippers and receivers are desperate to move freight at any price and can't. Frankly I'm worried about breaking down somewhere away from home and not being able to get a part for weeks or longer and being unable to get home. You can't even get a rental car right now. It's getting ugly out there.

5. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Deflation is a sign of a contracting economy. That is, prices fall because nobody is buying stuff. It's not good either.

6. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Ever hear of equilibrium?
    Malthus?
    We would do well to level off of our own free will before we are forced to via carrying capacity.

We are very lucky indeed that a few technological miracles have saved us from that malthusian trap, but reliance on miracles is a poor survival strategy

RedForeman Thanks this.
  7. istumped

istumped Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2015

I'm looking at one now with 1 million miles 2nd owner meticulously maintained with maintenance records

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.