using a lift axle?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ubart, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    So you're talking about a drop axle on a combination vehicle, not a single right?

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    It's on a truck and trailer. A truck and trailer is different than a semi. The truck has a cargo tank mounted to the frame and then it pulls a trailer. In my case the truck and trailer was 85' long. Think of a very long tractor with a tank on top. So if I unhooked the trailer it would be a straight truck. Also there's no fifth wheel. However, it does pivot in two places. One where the trailer hooks up on the pintal hook and the other at the turntable. It has no converter gear because the draw bar is permanently fixed to the trailer. In all there's 4 axles on the truck and 4 axles on the trailer.

If I drop the trailer it's a single. It's a truck and trailer. That means the tractor has a cargo tank permanently mounted to the frame. It's what we call a super tanker because I have 4 axles on the truck pulling a 4 axle trailer. There's no fifth wheel but the truck pivots in 2 places instead of 1 like a semi. Sometimes people look at the truck and think it's a set of doubles because they see 2 tanks but it's not. Doubles you can drop and end up with a tractor, I'll always have a tank right behind my head.

I have run a load to a station with just the truck and no trailer. The drop axle was down and there's absolutely no difference with or without the trailer. I hope this helped.

Sorry guys for this mix-up.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  4. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    I remember seeing those units out west. It's weird to me that you can turn without any problems while the tag axle is down.

Another weird thing to me is why you received an infraction on that first comment where you quoted me.

5. dieselhound

dieselhound Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Erie,PA

Yes, you are correct. All of the oil in the road rises up, which causes ice like conditions. Most people can't drive in the rain anywhere. lol It not like a lot of places where it can rain or drizzle for a week. If it rains more than an a half hour it's a monsoon.lol

6. GasHauler

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Yes I got an infraction for something that I believe was wrong. There's a couple of problems with it. The link is a site that has many pictures of trucks. None of those pictures belong to me. There's permission giving that you can use any picture as long as it's not for commercial use. When I went to post the information a sign came on my screen and stayed there for no more than 2 seconds. So I read the first couple of words and then it was gone. I couldn't get it back to see what it said. So during a PM I was notified that I could not post pictures of my truck like that.

If I did something wrong ok. But it sure would be nice to know what you can post and what you can not post. And it would also be nice to see a message longer than just a couple of seconds. I'm all for following the rules.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  7. WiseOne

WiseOne Inactive contact bullhaulerswife

Feb 8, 2004
    Truckers Report, TN
    I reversed the infraction as you didn't know and are a good member. Sorry, meant to do it before actually and forgot. No, that site has tried to POUND us with spam so we quit allowing any links to them as it was getting RIDICULOUS.

In our rules (PS, on top of EVERY single forum on this site) we DO state no other trucker forums (which that is) and such...but amazingly no one reads them, LOL. Not being a smart-Aleck, but it's true that most simply will not read anymore. I know it is long, but it has to be. I have had this up five years now and if I could count the number of spammers that I have seen and had a dollar for each one, I would be richer than Bill Gates. I KNOW you weren't trying to spam so don't get me wrong.

:)

8. GasHauler

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Sir, I completely did not understand those pictures could lead into major spamming. I understand your possition better now and would like to see a better warning. BUT THAT"S OK. I really appreiate the second chance and I know now if I do refer to another link I'll make sure it's proper. I do believe that this board is one of the last boards to operate the right way and I will do whatever it will takes to have it work properly. Thank You.

9. WarmPaw

WarmPaw Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Lift Axles are definitely an area more light needs to be directed.
    Each manufacturer has different types of lift axles set at varying heights.
    Then there's no makrings on the lift axle to let you know key info.
    In Canada they're going to steerable lift axles for this reason.
    Like a trailer, a lift axle should be identified and a document description of capacity weight and type along with what PSI values that explain weight at axle.
    That's for axles installed by a manufacturer.
    People hanging their own axle on may not even have their height or axle position installed correctly then they wonder why they're axle is slow to rise or lower. It may have a reduced weight or be putting too much weight on the frame.
    The size of the plumbing and the valve are also important variables.
    The reason the DOT/MOT want the switch outside of the cab is to catch people who forget or don't use their lift axles to save fuel or add traction to their drives.
    They want you to have four way flashers so if your dropping as you approach the scales they know.
    Fines are revenue. Revenue is an attaboy! The problem is, slip seating with different trailers means you don't get into a routine of remembering to raise and lower when you should.
    The switch should be in the cab for safety reasons and the inspectors at the scales know this.
    Forget fining people, if a driver can avoid an accident having access to an extra axle - especially one with brakes, it should not be on the side of the trailer.
    As for the original post of how to use a lift axle - usually your air settings are at a box close to the axle.
    Raise your air to 120 psi - charge your trailer and leave tractor park on so you have brakes to truck.
    You may have a switch that says lift axle you have to press just to send air to the axle, it may be a smaller black version of your air brake valve buttons. Push raises, pull drops on most vehicles. Play around while parked until you find out. They're all plumbed differently.
    As for setting your air - the box on side of trailer has round air guage with a lever. You push a brass button if there is one and move lever. One direction will increase air, one will return to zero.
    If you have black plastic knobs, the turn nob activates and the push button adds and removes air.
    With guage set from 20,000 to 60,000.
    I used to think psi equaled pounds on axle but have learned different drop axles have different heights when raised and lowered and the settings are factory specific to axle you have.
    Why we need more info.
    Why the scales want steerable axles because they can't tell you either.

10. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    When i run trucks w/ drop axles if it's off road i lift for better traction. Never back up w/ a drop axle down. Most are auto lift from the tranny. Any slick conditions i lift. Here we have controls in cab. We have 4 & 5 axle tractors & the same w/ trailers.

11. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    I've never had one which lifted automatically when I went into reverse.. we always had to do it ourselves, but we could have those valves in the cab in North Carolina.
    And yes, I always lifted them when I was off-road, as well.
    There'll be times when you might forget to lower them, then realize it somewhere down the road - do NOT lower them while the vehicle is in motion.
    By the way, it's a pusher if it's in front of the drive axles, and a tag if it's behind.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.