using refer to stay cool in the cab?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by iamgillespie, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    seriously, just run the gosh forsaken engine and get your sleep. you do not want to be uncomfortable and not get proper sleep, only to nod off while you are driving and have a terrible accident. some of us ( i know me for sure) cannot tolerate temps above 75 degree's with NO humidity and then with moderate to high humidity, and i'd want to be as cool and comfortable as possible.

if the company "dings you" with a write up, so be it.... START looking for another job, and EXPLAIN to the potential NEW employer why you want to leave, and that is they do not want you to idle, but you NEED YOUR PROPER REST/SLEEP TOO...!!

frankly i do not care to go to bed and then wake up in a "water bed" that the truck did NOT COME WITH.

i am as sick and tired of hearing all these "anti-idling laws" or company policies like anyone else is, but we all have to realize that unless the trucks have an APU unit you can run you really have NO OTHER CHOICE for driver COMFORT.

to NOT GET your proper rest/sleep will only serve to make you groggy and grouchy, and this "may lead to" you getting pissed off at every little thing you have to deal with when you wake u, and that's even IF you got ANY SLEEP...!!

could even lead to aggressive driving or road rage problems for you too..does the company want to deal with that..?? of course not...THEY WILL FIRE YOU FOR IT...!!!!

SO IDLE THAT FREAKING ENGINE, CRANK UP THAT A/C, AND GET YOUR PROPER REST/SLEEP.....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. iamgillespie

iamgillespie Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Lees Summit, MO
    Ha! How did you know I am driving for Schneider? The yellow would probably blend right in with the color of the truck!

4. celticwolf

celticwolf Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Kittrell, NC
    You know rerun I would agree with you, but you don't work for a company that requires you to keep your idle percentage low and you have all the #### experience not to work for a company that requires you to keep your percentage low. Unless you are going to reimburse me for the over idle charges I would have to pay if I follow your advice please forgive me if I don't. If you should happen to have some less emotional advice for us drivers without all your #### experience please let us know..

5. Cowmobile

Cowmobile Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    The hammer lane....
    If you can't idle you need to look for another job, if thats not an option, then suck it up and quit complaining.....

123456 Thanks this.
  6. celticwolf

celticwolf Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Kittrell, NC
    Did you see a complaint other than telling someone some of us don't have the options that others do? Nope you didn't, but thank you for your comment...

7. Jolsen

Jolsen Heavy Load Member

Mar 6, 2010
    East of the big crick
    Just call safety on them. Tell them you cant get enough sleep to safely drive the truck.

§ 398.4Driving of motor vehicles. (a) Compliance required. Every motor carrier shall comply with the requirements of this part, shall instruct its officers, agents, representatives and drivers with respect thereto, and shall take such measures as are necessary to insure compliance therewith by such persons. All officers, agents, representatives, drivers, and employees of motor carriers directly concerned with the management, maintenance, operation, or driving of motor vehicles, shall comply with and be conversant with the requirements of this part. (b) Driving rules to be obeyed. Every motor vehicle shall be driven in accordance with the laws, ordinances, and regulations of the jurisdiction in which it is being operated, unless such laws, ordinances and regulations are at variance with specific regulations of this Administration which impose a greater affirmative obligation or restraint. (c) Driving while ill or fatigued. No driver shall drive or be required or permitted to drive a motor vehicle while his/her ability or alertness is so impaired through fatigue, illness, or any other cause as to make it unsafe for him/her to begin or continue to drive, except in case of grave emergency where the hazard to passengers would be increased by observance of this section and then only to the nearest point at which the safety of passengers is assured.

If they have issues cite the laws to them and tell them to f off.
    also if that still is not enough bring up the lawsuit from damage to your body.

Thermoregulation is the ability of an organism to keep its body temperature within certain boundaries, even when the surrounding temperature is very different. This process is one aspect of homeostasis: a dynamic state of stability between an animal's internal environment and its external environment (the study of such processes in zoology has been called ecophysiology or physiological ecology). If the body is unable to maintain a normal temperature and it increases significantly above normal, a condition known as hyperthermia occurs. For humans, this occurs when the body is exposed to constant temperatures of approximately 55° C, any prolonged exposure (longer than a few hours) at this temperature and up to around 70° C death is almost inevitable.[citation needed] Humans may also experience lethal hyperthermia when the wet bulb temperature is sustained above 35 °C (95 °F) for six hours. [1][2] The opposite condition, when body temperature decreases below normal levels, is known as hypothermia.
    Whereas an organism that thermoregulates is one that keeps its core body temperature within certain limits, a thermoconformer is subject to changes in body temperature according to changes in the temperature outside of its body. It was not until the introduction of thermometers that any exact data on the temperature of animals could be obtained. It was then found that local differences were present, since heat production and heat loss vary considerably in different parts of the body, although the circulation of the blood tends to bring about a mean temperature of the internal parts. Hence it is important to identify the parts of the body that most closely reflect the temperature of the internal organs. Also, for such results to be comparable, the measurements must be conducted under comparable conditions. The rectum has traditionally been considered to reflect most accurately the temperature of internal parts, or in some cases of sex or species, the ######, uterus or bladder.
    Occasionally the temperature of the urine as it leaves the urethra may be of use. More often the temperature is taken in the mouth, axilla, ear or groin.
    Contents

[hide]

Since you are required to take a 10 hour brake and it only takes 6 hours at those temps to kill you hmmm.
    Also after only 30min it heats up enough to cause brain damage.
    After you state this info to them they tend to drop the subject and leave you alone.

8. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    For JHC's sake... can't you morons see this is a joke thread?

9. BigJohn54

BigJohn54 Gone, but NEVER forgotten

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri

While I agree it's shameful that companies take the approach they do, this idea is just a good way to end up going down the road, on foot, talking to yourself.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.