using your credit or debit card for OTR

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dave93, Mar 22, 2015.

1. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Call the number on your card tell them you're going over the road and to not shut your card off.Due to ppl stealing card numbers it really is a good thing card services do this.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rda2580

rda2580 Heavy Load Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Lower Michigan
    Wasn't Bank of Amer part of the mortgage underwriting debacle? And
    aren't they still fighting a class action lawsuit for fraudulent
    atm/overdraft fees? See any irony hear? Go ahead pet that Rattlesnake
    it won't do nuthing its more afraid of you!😬

Riprap Thanks this.
  4. Lowa3468

Lowa3468 Heavy Load Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Portland, Or
    I had boa for about 9 years then between the 8-9 year boa knew I travled but every single time I went to a Walmart or other big box store to use my card they would shut it down, even when I went to use ATMs on the occasion only to find out they shut my card down....so I switch to a different bank and haven't had an issue yet.....boa and aiss. My kss.

5. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Ok, so I stopped at my local AAA office. The AAA membership card IS a pre-paid cash card. I can load it up at any AAA office for whatever I want. It is an American Express card, and as such accepted anywhere an AmEx card is accepted, no limits, except if I go out of the country, as it only works here in the 50 US states and American possessions. If I need something for out of the country, AAA has a card for that, for no charge to members.

So now I have a back up, to my debit card, and credit card.

6. Town Drunk

Town Drunk Light Load Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Hendersonville, TN
    I never had any trouble with using my debit card on the road, I rarely used it and I do not have any credit cards.

7. Ducks

Ducks "Token Four-Wheeler"

Jan 1, 2007
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    I'd like to know just how much is absorbed by the credit card company. I think most of it is charged back to the merchant who accepted the card as payment.

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Credit card companies do an investigation which takes a couple weeks and if they have reason to believe you are a victim of fraud far as I can tll the merchants get charged.You would think they would learn and start asking for a photo I.D. when you use your credit card/debit card and compare names and signatures but most of them don't.Its so easy to steal from an account.I pay rays bills every week and then buy us a meal,I use his debit card and none of them even look at the name,they just swipe the card.Same with my dads card.I use his card every week to buy him groceries.As long as stores don't care they will continue to get ripped off.

simpleman78 Thanks this.
  9. Midwesttrucker

Midwesttrucker Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2012
    midwestern state
    When I was OTR I used a credit card and paid it off when the bill came due. Did it this way because if someone got my debit card well there goes the cash until the bank reimburses. Didn't want to take a risk like that.

10. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    You can use your card anywhere you want. Typically telling them your travelling is when your going to leave the country. The only place your card automatically gets declined is Mexico with most banks.

11. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I've had a few transactions declined as a result of traveling. A 3 minute phone call resolves the issue. One time they actually called ME after I had a declined transaction.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.