USPS perfect job went south. Looking for a dedicated out of NC. Any help appreciated

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Driver0000, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Driver0000

Driver0000 Medium Load Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Had an awesome run from GSO NC to NJ, CT, NYC then back. Up and back twice a week. 4 days/ week.

Through no fault of my own, the job went away.

Now I'm sitting at home jobless. I've got 12 months OTR and local experience plus two months truck driving school.

Anyone know the best way to get into something similar to the postal route? Out one night then home, out another night and home?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Have you tried putting in applications?

Protein Hauler and Puppage Thank this.
  4. Driver0000

Driver0000 Medium Load Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Sure, but so far I've only seen dedicated runs that require two years verifiable and their insurance just was not able to take me on.

I almost got on a dedicated First Fleet run but I dragged my feet for a week waiting to see if the USPS job was going to come back and someone else got it.

There's a JB Hunt running mattresses but the pay is low and mattresses are freaking heavy. I'll tailgate stick furniture all day but those #### mattresses.... no thanks. Plus, home on the weekend for a reset isn't something I want to do anymore.

5. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    It's going to be tough somewhat to find that job you just lost. Start applying to the companies that your interested in and go down the list

6. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    Any LTL barns in your area? Some will take you on with limited experience and let you work the dock for a while (if you're willing).

ABF
    Old Dominion
    SAIA
    Southeastern Freight Lines
    Estes

Also check out some mail contractors, these vary by area. If you ran for the USPS, you're sure to have seen their trucks.

Pat Salmon
    Eagle Express Lines
    Hoovestol (I believe they own Eagle)

If worse comes to worst, check out foodservice. Big money, but tough work and they generally relax their experience requirements.

US Foods
    Reinhart
    Sisco
    MBM
    Sigma
    GFS (my personal favorite)

Also check out some local building supply outfits, they typically have a desirable Monday to Friday home everyday schedule, with overtime opportunities.

Good luck to you.

Sho Nuff and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  7. Heritage11

Heritage11 Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Ashley LTL side out of the advance DC. Those guys usually get back to the house a couple nights a week and home weekends. Occasionally might do a full week out.

Above average pay and benefits, nice well maintained equipment. They usually want 2 years but if you've got a clean year in they might look at you.

I'm on the truckload side. Home weekends. For the Greensboro area it's a good job.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  8. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Sounds like you worked for an OTR Mail Contract Carrier. Usually you can seperate the OTR HCR Carriers from the Local by whether they drive a sleeper or daycab. If you're looking for a non local mail carrier, try looking into companies like Eagle, B&B, MTI, Pat Salmon, MCA, etc., or stop by your local USPS Distribution Center and write down the names of the various Contract Carriers entering into the facility. You could also apply to USPS directly and work as an MVS driver when you reach your 2 year mark, if you're interested in going that route, but make sure you are registered with Selective Service before you apply. It's surprising how many people are not registered, which means you can't get any type of government job, federal assistance, grants, benefits, or loans.

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Plenty of good linehaul jobs in North Carolina. What city/town are you near?
    Estes Express
    Saia LTL Freight
    Old Dominion

10. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Most of these OTR Mail Contract Carriers have various dedicated runs that you can choose from. You can be out weeks at a time, couple days, every other day, and even local. You can google Mail Carriers or go to Indeed.com and also search Mail Carriers.

If you're willing to go to a USPS Distribution Center to see what Carriers are available, you won't find that many OTR Carriers at P&DC Centers. They all pretty much go to NDC Centers, which is the Bulk Mail Center. P&DC Centers are basically all Local HCR Carriers. So if you're willing to go OTR, go to a NDC Center to see what's available. If you're looking to go Local, go to a P&DC Center, or NDC as well.

11. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    I had my truck leased to a company out of Elon Nc called Glen Raven Mills for 7 years.They are a textile mill with there own company trucks and O/Os.Its is a good company there company trucks only stay out 2 nights is max.Then back home off on weekends

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.