Utah Companies?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jawila, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Jawila

Jawila Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Utah
    Anyone here know the local Utah scene.

I'm looking for some decent companies to check out.

My info: Still need to obtain my CDL (will most likely attend Salt Lake Community College), have a clean MVR, no DUI or DWI, no felonies, not such a solid work history, but I have a strong desire to change that, hence the research here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. billlippold

billlippold Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2006
    My wife and I went to their school and did our 90 days (Every New Guy Leaves After Ninety Days) and have never experienced so much unprofessionalism and ******** ever. Oh yeah, they tell you everything's going to be great but, in the end, they simply want to rip you off, make you work your *** off and put your life in danger.

Go to England and prepare to be treated like a second-class citizen, prepare to work for peanuts and have them run you, just don't let DOT find out! Then try to collect your pay! HAHAHA! You'll be nickeled and dimed to death by these morons (mormons, hypocrites.)

I'm a college educated man. Was in a "professional" occupation and tired of the rat race. I was looking for a "simpler" life and although I have no regrets because I'm enjoying trucking, I've been totally shocked at the way these people conduct business and wonder why the law hasn't caught up with them?!

ENGLAND THRIVES ON TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE POOR AND UNEDUCATED.

These thieves will suck you into their school, charge you an outrageous amount of money, hide their thievery on your pay vouchers behind such classifications as "reserve" then tell you you'll "get it all back" if you leave the company or after "x" amount of time.

ENGLAND has a well-orchestrated way of misleading their drivers.

Now that we've put in our "missionary" work with these aholes, we're moving on to a new company with MUCH better pay (approximately twice the pay), benefits and bonuses (England tells you about bonuses but they don't really exist.)

There are a lot of companies out there, the big ones all may be the same, I'm not sure but, there are also a lot of companies out there that are genuine in helping their people instead of RIPPING THEM OFF.

Do your homework. Good Luck!

Bill and Julie

4. Jawila

Jawila Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Utah
    I've heard enough about England to not want to go there. In a lot of cases where people have bad things to say about a company it may come down to it not being the right fit between the driver and the company.

In CR Englands case, I think that the company really has a few too many issues for me to even want to consider trying them out.

Better conditions and pay exist elsewhere, even for a newbie. Besides, I'm furthering my career as a driver, not trying to wreck it!

Thanks for the heads up.

5. beemermcr

beemermcr Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2006
    I did as you are doing, went with a St. George company that has done a good job running me and teaching me the 'real business' - a friend went with a larger company, prolly got better formal training, but less of the "real world" - your first six months are going to be hard work, low pay and high risk - would recommend you choose a company that will train you very well, pay you honestly and plan to leave them after about 6 months, mostly to increase your pay.

Paul

6. Jawila

Jawila Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Utah
    You must be with Andrus? What do they pay for training? How about when you go solo? I'm not sure I want to move right now.

I'm considering Crete and Old Dominion. They both pay well enough I can stay with them longer, not have to jump around as much.

You've got to be careful of jumping around between companies. When you find a great company you want to get on with (after you have two or three years experience) they may not hire you because of your work history. This is advice I've received from "those in the know." Just a heads up.

Also, what company did your buddy go with? How does he like it there?

Thanks for the insight. :toothy5:

7. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    When it comes to Utah, one should look in the newspaper help-wanted ads to find the companies he DOESN'T want to work for, and then take that knowledge to the Q-West Yellow Pages. There are lots of companies in Salt Lake that don't advertise in the local papers for drivers. This is because they don't have to advertise. They know how to keep their drivers, after all. You'll find these companies in that phone book under "trucking" or "hauling". Mark off the bad companies from the newspaper and then go to town calling the companies that are left. You probably won't find something right away. You'll have to be put on a waiting list and may even need experience. It's all good, though. You definitely want to wait out a good job over and above going to work for one of the easy-to-get newspaper-ad companies. Just remember there's a good reason those jobs are easy to get. It's the same reason their ads are in the papers every bloo-muhd day.

8. Jawila

Jawila Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Utah
    With very few exceptions, you're right about the classifieds section. Not a good place to look for a good job, a tool to help you stay away from the bad jobs! :thumbup:

9. lookingup

lookingup Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2006
    who are some good companies to drive for?

10. Jawila

Jawila Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Utah
    That a decision I think you'll be better off making yourself. Seriously.

These forums are a great place to start your research. It will take some time, but it's well worth the effort. The more effort you put into it, the more you'll get out of it, i.e., the happier you'll be.

11. beemermcr

beemermcr Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Correct on Andrus - they are family owned and run - good people, not hung up on all the details, appreciate hard runners. For details, call HR/Recruiting at 800-888-5838. My big reason for coming to them, and staying, is they get me home each weekend for my reset. Very important to me and my life.

My buddy went with Werner - has now left, due to low pay.

Good luck!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.