VDO screws all their owners

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Hulld, Apr 29, 2020.

1. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Dang!!!! You had your ear to the ground on for this one. I didn’t hear nothing about it. At least their giving us time to pull all the data off. But man, I really like VDO for an elog solution.

Aug 14 it says, is the last time we can access the online portal. :(

RoadLog - ELD

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Dieselboss and Hulld Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    You could always get one with no service, everything is local. Like the Garmin and I dunno about others.

Dieselboss and Hulld Thank this.
  4. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY

5. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    The Garmin is what I will investigate next I guess ?
    I really haven’t seen any others that are local stand alone?

6. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Yeah... I just hate all this extra wireless stuff. And I definitely don’t like omnitracs. That’s one reason I love VDO, it’s a wired in system. No phone needed. No constant WiFi

Hulld Thanks this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I really dunno. Only going off what I remember others talking about.
    I did a quick search and found this: ELD's With No Monthly Fee | Top 5 Devices Without a Contract

Your best bet though is likely PM'ing @Dieselboss as his job is selling the right unit for your wants/needs.

Hulld Thanks this.
  8. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    I would say the Garmin or the Blue Ink.

As predicted by anyone with common sense, there are (and will be more) ELD makers that fold up. There have been several big names either folding up or scaling way back in the last 6 months alone. This is because there were hundreds of startups that arrived when the government mandated this thing. It's like if they mandated boots be worn. There would be 700 boot companies pop up overnight. But only 10 of them would still be in business 3 years later. You KNOW that Garmin is not folding. Sure they could discontinue the ELD device, but I doubt it. They have too many resources. I have no idea if Blue Ink or others can sustain this business model though. The big caution about the very FEW "no-fee" devices is that you need to make sure to do your own "off-device" backups. If you have all of your logs on a stand-alone device and you break or lose the device then you would be screwed in an audit situation. The monthly fee devices do those data backups and storage for you and provide real-time tracking, dispatching, print and sign IFTA, etc. But that is because the monthly fees sustain a business model of offering those monthly perks for those who want them.

(disclaimer: I have absolutely NO business relationship with any companies mentioned in this post.)

JonJon78, gentleroger and Hulld Thank this.
  9. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I had an idea that the VDO business model wouldn’t work well with off site storage for records with no monthly fee.
    So far the reviews on the Garmin eld are not very good at all.
    I haven’t looked at blue ink yet.

Dieselboss and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  10. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    I’m following this thread now. Since I got to change too... I might just do paper...

Hulld Thanks this.
  11. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    So you are eligible to just do paper? If so I would use the Eclipse Log (if you have a Windows device) or the Keep Truckin app (for iOS or Android.) SO much easier than trying to add up lines and keeping a 70-hour clock straight , etc. on paper. No connection to the truck and totally editable.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.