Vehicle Hauling, new and looking to expand capacity

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TurningLeafAutomotive, Sep 13, 2019.

1. TurningLeafAutomotive

TurningLeafAutomotive Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2019
    Talk with ins agent happening soon :)

IFTA doesn't apply to me. My rollback is under 26k lbs and only has two axles.

"IFTA defines a “qualified motor vehicle” as a vehicle built and used to transport property or people. Qualified motor vehicles must also fit any of the following descriptions:

• Any vehicle with two axles and a gross vehicle weight of over 11,797 kilograms or 26,000 pounds
    • A vehicle of any weight but with three or more axles
    • A vehicle that exceeds 11,797 kilograms or 26,000 pounds"

To keep the truck near full, I plan to dispatch. I've been hard at work getting signed up with brokers large and small, and using central dispatch to find loads.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TurningLeafAutomotive

Aug 13, 2019
    And also, I'm really enjoying reading all of your responses, even if I already have the answer. This is such a great learning exercise for me!

4. TurningLeafAutomotive

Aug 13, 2019
    Yes I agree. My ins agent told me that lots of the hotshot folks are taken aback by the insurance costs to get started. The fact I had an existing towing operation and I wasn't traveling more than 500 miles from my dispatching location allowed my yearly insurance to only go up $2.5k. I'm still under $20k a year all-in for insurance.

5. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    As the story unfolds youre more legit than you initially sounded and i think youll do okay. Meaning you may not be 100% legal in every jurisdiction's or troopers opinion in every way but probably wont get caught. Just keep in mind that there is no such thing as ticket proof in trucking. We are all perpetually in violation of something. thats how many rules there are.

6. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    ..and for as many troopers and weigh stations as NC has.. Theyre pretty lax. Southern VA along the 81 corridor.. Theyre revenuers.. Theyll chase a truck down in my experience. Charge more to go there.

7. TurningLeafAutomotive

Aug 13, 2019
    I'm too legit to quit!

FoolsErrand Thanks this.
  8. TurningLeafAutomotive

Aug 13, 2019
    I don't make it out to SW VA ever. Just too far. I'll go up to Richmond, or Roanoke though. I'm told Danville, VA is a popular place for troopers and the weigh van to hang out. Makes sense since it's just north of Greensboro, NC.

Yes I really only pass one weigh station in my normal travels, I40 near Hillsborough/Graham. Rarely are there troopers hiding to catch breeze-byes.

VA however, I've been warned about. Everything strapped down to the 9s, and also someone warned me that each county requires a permit to pickup from each respective county, with hefty fines if an operator doesn't have that. Delivering doesn't matter at all, just pickup. I learned that after a couple hauls, so i guess I got lucky. I do my best to stay out of VA, but if a good paying haul comes up I'll consider it. I have 8 point tie-downs for the wheels and run four safety chains, two front and rear each, which is above and beyond.

9. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    You definitely left out a bunch of details in your 1st post lol.

You obviously have your stuff together, you're just unfamiliar with a different segment of trucking.

Also realize that we are in a bad market right now with truck capacity through the roof and everyone killing the spot market. I dont know alot about car hauling, just that I dont know how some of those guys hauling 3 cars around wity a dually stay afloat.

10. TurningLeafAutomotive

Aug 13, 2019
    Yeah, I guess I didn't want to get too wordy off the bat. And thanks! It's been like drinking from a fire hose these past few months getting the kinks worked out. I am worried about the economy turning down more so if I did it's been my capacity I really don't think I could be convinced of doing it too greatly.

one of the considerations if I went away from running a rollback would be the inability to get inoperable vehicles. right now I can get in and out of tight spots, as well as winch up vehicles that don't run, and sometimes don't even steer. To further increase my capabilities, I recently purchased a set of highway capable dollies so that I can transport all-wheel and 4 wheel drive vehicles on my wheel lift.

most operable vehicles seem to be listed for anywhere from $0.75 to $1.10 per mile. Inoperable vehicles are often listed above $2 per mile.

but not just that, the marginal insurance increase for me hauling vehicles is extraordinary low. If I did not have a local towing operation bringing in good money, and all I did was run a 3 or 4 car trailer and paid $15k-$20k a year in insurance, I can see how it would be tough to stay on top of overhead and maintenance costs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.