Venezia - Let The Games Begin

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by geargrinder, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Number5

Number5 Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah, I kind of wondered the same thing about Schneider Bulk. Not only do they have a regular line of newbee drivers coming thru orientation training every two weeks, they keep advertising that they need more drivers. Meanwhile, they never have enough work to keep their drivers moving. I have had a lot of guys tell me that its a intended regular cycle that Schneider, and other companies, has been taking advantage of. They get kickbacks from the government for hiring unemployed workers, that's the main reason Schneider will hire newbies, and then they have such a bad ratio of available work to available drivers, that they are guaranteed to be losing drivers regularly so that they can keep hiring them regularly. I don't know what the government kickbacks amount to, but it's gotta be considerable, because obviously their is also a cost for them to train those newbie drivers too.

JGarrick1940 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Venezia has work for their drivers and I'm pretty sure they don't get kickbacks problem is first they hold two weeks of pay then they give you all these short runs where your not making much your constantly loading and unloading instead of running plus you have to deal with the crappy trailers

4. geargrinder

geargrinder Medium Load Member

Nov 23, 2006
    More than likely waiting.
    Crappy trailers, Venezia, you've got to be kidding! Venezia trailers are an insult to crappy trailers. I swear some are pulled right from the salvage yard. The loading operators just kind of shake their head with the junk we bring in - scully doesn't work, vapor recovery doesn't work, filthy, oxidized pieces of junk. Ridiculous runs - load 2-compartments in Baltimore, 2 more in Glen Dale, WV. Then unload 1 compartment in an Ohio cornfield, and the other 3 in Cleveland. Ends up being 2-days for a 400-mile run with no reload until day 3.

You get to load at the Gordon Terminal where you will earn detention pay. Where you will also back under racks that were designed in the late 1920's. The people at Gordon are friendly to a fault, and let you weigh your trailer between each product. Getting 3-products affords you 4-trips to the scale and 3 chances to load at the lovely Number 1 Rack! Gordon Terminal also offers free oil waterproofing for all your garments.

Everything is a pump off, some stops slinging three 3-inch hoses, while fishing the hoses from and putting them back on the God awful hose racks. The trucks are these narrow cab Petes. The freaking mirrors hang out there so far that you are always worried about hitting something. I swear PACCAR's Accounting Department designed the trucks, no way did they have ANY input from people who actually use the trucks.

As part of Venezia's Character Building program you are paid by HHG miles. Oh don't forget that all trucks are conveniently keyed the same. If you lock your keys in the truck don't worry. The next honest Venezia driver will gladly unlock it for you. Don't worry Venezia does not hire thieves and no other Venezia driver wants your $400.00 GPS.

On the plus side you can make $50k a year and be home weekends. Trucks run 70-mph. Dispatchers have no concept of Hours of Service regulations. Most drivers are still using paper logs (but elogs are coming). But the constant loading, short runs, and pump offs gets old.

1catfish Thanks this.
  5. geargrinder

Nov 23, 2006
    I will close the Venezia book (and my employment with them) with one last "Driver Beware."

Equipment for Liquid Drivers is assigned out of Corporate HQ in Pottstown, PA. When you quit the expectation is that you return the equipment to Pottstown, PA. If you don't, you will get charged the "recovery" fee. They don't care how far away from Pottstown you live. Anyone in the Pittsburgh, PA or points westward considering Venezia - you have been warned!

6. SmokeMac

SmokeMac Medium Load Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Come on guy you got hired in Pottstown you should quit in Pottstown. I am not seeing the problem with not taking the truck back there. When I quit I had my car in Sweedesborough and I still had to take the truck back to Pottstown. They got me a ride back to Sweedes and I am sure if you asked they would have got you back to Pittsburg

Voyager1968 Thanks this.
  7. poppapump1332

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Swedesborough where's that lol no reason why you can't drop truck off at one of their terminals except for them trying to play hard ball.

8. poppapump1332

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Btw they hold two weeks of pay when you start so you don't even see a paycheck for three weeks when I left as an o/o they owed me 5,000 and didnt want to pay me Andy refused to answer my calls only way I got paid was cause I knew someone higher up so to speak who told him to pay me check was at my house in three days.

9. geargrinder

Nov 23, 2006
    wonder what mac is smoking? Hired out of Neville Isand. Last day of orientation they mentioned about the truck return policy. I am warning potential hires that aren't local to Pottstown.

10. geargrinder

Nov 23, 2006
    Swedesboro to Pottsdown is a heck of a lot different than Western PA/Eastern OH. And yes they have a terminal in New Middletown, OH. The Ohio terminal was the only reason I ever considered Venezia.

My big complaints about Venezia are mine. They may not mean diddly to someone else. FWIW I hated their trucks, I felt cheated by HHG mileage pay, taking 2-days to go 400-miles and getting a reload on day three blew, and finally being outside for hours at a time to load and unload while the family jewels were freezing - shall we say "iced the cake."

11. poppapump1332

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    I agree the hhg mileage is a total scam always end up running 10-20% more miles then paid for.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.