Vengeful company violated my hiring contract and I quit

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Timothyj296, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Timothyj296

Timothyj296 Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2018
    After my company violated my home time contract a few times and tried to get me to violate hos and dot laws. Tried for over 2 months to use their open door policy to come to a resolution. I couldn't get in touch with hr or anyone outside of the terminal I was dispatched from. And each time I spoke with the fleet manager or safety I got nowhere and my miles dropped each time I was pressured into violating hos. So at our yard close to the final load destination i dropped the loaded trailer and sent in my trip report and while returning the equipment to the terminal I was contacted after sending all the information to my dispatch 8 hrs prior saying that if I don't contact immediately that they would assume that the truck was stolen. So I messaged back referencing the transflow conformation number and informing them I could call but all conversations would be recorded and monitored for my protection. They wouldn't speak to me on the phone after this but replied by eld informed them that I would be returning the equipment to the terminal I was issued it from and that it was agreed that all issues were resolved and that I would receive my paychecks without them being delayed or deducted from. I parked the truck on the yard and I did leave the keys in it and was planning on getting a signed inspection in a day or two after I had taken a little time to bathe and collect myself. 38 hrs after I've parked on the yard getting ready to go to the terminal get the inspection and declare I was no longer able to work for them. I check my direct deposit for my bank account. I was paid $150 for 2800 miles driven before this happened. What can I do? Company is hostel and unethical.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Timothyj296

Timothyj296 Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2018
    I just want what I worked I'm a single father with over 5years experience and second generation driver with the experience of my father with over 20 years as a driver and trucking company owner

4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    you can probably try going thru your state (or the state the company is in) to the labor dept and file some sort of wage complaint.

but now comes an interesting thought. you claim you had a "contract"?

then you had better re-read that and see if THEY CAN make deductions from your final paycheck(s).

they could have also dinged you with a truck/trailer recovery fee as well.

since you say that you, dropped off the equipment at a terminal close to your drop off, not the actual terminal you work out of.

they could have an argument that you cannot do this, that IT MUST be dropped off at the terminal you got the truck from.

so get all your ducks in a row, THEN try talking with the local labor dept.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Reason for edit: spelling
  5. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    How could they get you to violate HOS laws when you're on ELD?

Secondly, unless a written contract agreement signed by your employer and you was generated stating exactly what your hometime criteria was, than you didn't have a contract.

If the company policy stated, if you decided to self terminate your employment and failed to return the equipment to your home terminal and the company would charge you a recovery fee, than you don't have a leg to stand on.

It seems there's alot more to this story than what is being written in your post.

It sounds like basically you were unhappy with your employment and decided to see if you could get some concessions from the company, when they didn't comply, you decided to gamble and played hardball and lost.

End of Story

Lick your wounds and move on.

6. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    You sound difficult to work with.

I have had some real employers in my life. One that was a life long conartist that still needed to be back behind bars a few more years. Even with the absolute worst of them I have never needed to threaten them with a "recording" of our conversations.

Timothyj296 and buddyd157 Thank this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    A few thoughts.

First no one cares about your dad's experience, it is not counted in any way.

Second what home time contract? You actually had a contract with your employer?

Third there is nothing you can do about it. Move on.

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Yeppers, if you had a contract you are now an independent contractor. Getting paid on a 1099? Or leasing?

In both cases you are seen as a business working with (not for, but with) another business. And like all b2b disputes it has to go through the court system if the injured party thinks it's worth it. Personally I suggest just moving on.

Oh, and stop posting a blob from Siri and actually put fourth minimum effort to format your post so it's readable. You'll get more help that way.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  9. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Let me guess. 1099?

10. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    There are several reasons one ends up in trucking. When you read some of the posts on here, it becomes clear why they ended up in trucking ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2018
    Reason for edit: quote deleted
  11. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    A DAY OR TWO to "bathe and collect yourself"......?

Musta been a helluva bath!

Also, leaving the keys in it and walking away was a bad idea. They coulda had someone drive it into the desert, hire four crackheads to live in it for a week, then blame the damage on you.

ALWAYS hand the keys over to a company rep, preferably the TM or Shop Boss, and get a written receipt.

I wish you every success.

Reason for edit: Spelling
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.