Verizon 4G deal

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by HD_Renegade, Sep 16, 2011.

1. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Wonder how long they will keep this around? Am on AT&T currently, but may have to switch as Google's Nexus Prime is suppose to go to Verizon when it is released in Oct./Nov.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cowboy_tech

cowboy_tech Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Avondale, CO
    I think you would have needed to be grandfathered in to get the unlimited data. AFAIK, new users will be tiered. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You've been-----\/\/\/\-----Thunderstruck!!!

4. eastcoastguy1975

eastcoastguy1975 Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2010
    hampton,nh
    with a verizon smartphone why do they advertise the hotspot to power other sources(such as laptop)and then say teithering is unacceptable? how else can you get online on your laptop in the cab of your truck?

5. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    I think you are confusing "unauthorized" tethering or rooting of the phone for the purpose of feeding internet to other devices - verses the mobile hotspot plans thru Verizon. I have the Droid X phone with the $20 (2 Gigs) plan and it feeds internet access to up to 5 computers and has worked flawlessly as long as I was in a 3G area at the time. I also have a MiFi with the $59 plan (5 Gigs) and it too feeds up to 5 computers at once and has worked flawlessly as well.

6. AZS

AZS Honk if anything falls off

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX, AZ
    Guess I'm doing basically a 180 from my earlier post in this thread but since discovering the unlimited 3g and 4g data hotspot capability of the thunderbolt I am never changing phones. lol. $30 a month. I had Verizon switch my mifi to a test device and charge me $10 a month until the cancellation fee comes down.

7. eastcoastguy1975

Dec 6, 2010
    hampton,nh
    do you have to plug a usb into your phone to laptop if you have the mobile hotspot plan?

8. Shotsjc

Shotsjc Medium Load Member

May 4, 2011
    Albany, N.Y.
    Tethering is not illegal. Your carrier may not like it, but there is really nothing they can do to stop you. The app is actually called PDA Net. You download it to your phone, run it simultaneously on your laptop.

You have to go into settings, applications, developement, and check on usb debugging. You have to switch the phone to a disk drive, start pda net and start usb tethering.

I watched a bunch of movies and surfed the net on my phone at the same time. Did email, looked at facebook, all while watching a movie. The only thing is the internet connection stops if you get a phone call.

The first time I was watching Netflix, my wife texted me and it comes right up on your laptop screen. I thought that was cool. I have unlimmited data with Verizon and a few of their employees told me I can really do whatever I want. I just hope it lasts. LOL

9. eastcoastguy1975

Dec 6, 2010
    hampton,nh
    i'll only need 2g's maybe 5g's tops.just wanted to know the easiest or cheapest way to go about it as far as getting internet on my laptop while mobile.

10. Dieselboss

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Correct. There is no "law" on the books against it. But it is what they deem a violation of your "terms of service" and they are getting very aggressive now about choking the connection and with even sending text messages to the higher usage customers telling them that they are choking their speed until the next billing cycle.

11. Dieselboss

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Cheapest?

$20 per month for 2Gigs on hotspot-capable phones.
    $30 per month for MiFi with 3Gigs

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.