VHF Frequencies, BC. AB.

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Knoxville, Apr 22, 2009.

1. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Alas, 'tis no more...

[​IMG]

Feud flattens the only public phone in the tiny community of Coalmont, BC

A long-standing feud has left Coalmont, BC without an emergency public phone and residents want another one. The mountain town has no cell phone service. Last month the only phone booth in the community was destroyed when one resident, Roland Giroux, allegedly drove his car into into while another resident, Warren Spence, who was making a call.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...n-the-tiny-community-of-coalmont-bc-1.3057881

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Johnny R

Johnny R Light Load Member

May 25, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Reminds me so much of an episode in that great movie Waking Ned Devine

4. Wpginterceptor

Wpginterceptor Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2020
    I joined the group and im ressurecting an old thread to help other drivers out!

VHF radio is far superior to old time 1960's technology called Citizens Band (CB Radio)!
    VHF radios are far more powerful and use smaller antennas!

For everyday drivers your better off to get a PRE-programmed radio like a Motorola radio from a radio shop! spend the extra money and get a professional radio!

Your radio is also only as good as your antenna!! there are differant types of antennas.. 1/4 wave, 1/2 Wave, 5/8s, Full Wave! For your truck you want a 5/8 wave! the antenna should also be properly tuned... if its NOT tuned properly, you can damage your radio (when transmitting) and you can also negatively affect the transmit range and recieve range with an untuned antenna!!

i once had a guy bring me his rig and said he cant talk more than 10 kilometers,,, I used an VHF Swr meter and his antenna was poorly tuned.. after i tuned it he told me 50 Kilometers now hes talked!

Any questions.. ill try and answer them when i can

5. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    Yeah they’re great but they’re really only popular in AB, BC and the North. As much as the VHF is the better radio, I don’t think it’ll replace the CB. The rest of Canada and the entire USA would have to switch over; and sadly, radio communication between drivers has been on the decline for some time now.

I’ve been running both radios for a number of years now. Doing long haul out of the west you kind of need to run both if you want to increase your chances of communicating with others.

6. Wpginterceptor

Dec 18, 2020
    yeah unfortunitly alot of drivers dont even know how to properly setup and use a CB radio! everytime i get a driver complaint that he cant hear nobody or they cant hear him.. its a simple radio not setup properly issue! second is garbage antennas or antennas arnt working (those fibreglass antennas are JUNK!!!!!)

Fly J should start selling these VHF radios, but again they arnt ALL OVER FRIENDLY like CB is..and i mean able to use it anywhere

7. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    Yeah the authorities are using them. Every time I wheel through Coeur d’ Alene, Idaho I hear the police dispatcher talking on LADD 1.

There was also a firefighter from Montana on here a few months ago asking guys to keep off the VHF while down there.

8. Wpginterceptor

Dec 18, 2020
    yes this radio is for Canada only! Someone needs to apply for a frequency that can be used north america friendly!

Phantom Trucker Thanks this.
  9. roddy55

roddy55 Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.