Violation for Spinner Knob On Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by T|2uck3r, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Suicide knobs are like radar detectors and CB amplifiers. Illegal, but easy to get your hands on... at or near a truck stop, autozone or website.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Spinner knobs are not illegal in all states.

Washington happens to be one of the states that do not allow them without a specific medical release. And, Washington is the only state I know of notorious for enforcing it.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  4. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ah, I just thought they were meant for offroad use. That has been my understanding so far.

Makes me wonder if they sell them in WA at truck stops... I'll look next time I'm there.

5. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    Well, I got a question for you?, I've been driving for 23 years,As I dont need a spinner knob, but do like them, I've never been in a accident, nor have I ever slid off the road, or rolled a truck, So why does my spinner knob make me in unsafe driver?

darthanubis Thanks this.
  6. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Well, according to the state, it can catch on clothing and jewelry.

I don't care for them, but to each his own.

7. cc tanker

cc tanker Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Ohio
    i drove an old diamond reo with air assist steering it had a spinner and it came in handy ...but i dont see with power steering why anybody would need one...

Injun Thanks this.
  8. GOV'T_Trucker

GOV'T_Trucker Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2011
    I like how people always revert back to the saying "you must be be a professional trucker driver" if it's something they don't have and feel is not needed... So that automatically makes that driver a "non-truck driver".... Everyone has what they feel is comfortable or makes life easier.. This doesn't mean you don't know how to drive or what your doing...

I can drive both with and without it.... It is placed in a way so as to no interfere with my hand placement on the steering wheel.. Meaning that I can hold the steering wheel normally with both hands or I can do the knob.. I don't go driving down the highway with my hand on the spinner... Sometimes I use it going around corners but mostly just when I am backing up.. Again I don't need it I can take it off tomorrow and drive just as good without it.. I only use it as it makes it easier to back up with less turns of the wheel.... The Freightliners have big steering wheels so I figure I could turn it faster with the knob rather then just my hands..

Now as for a front tire blow out or something I can't personally speak about this if it would break my hand or if I couldn't have full control... I know a guy at work who blew the front tire out with a knob and his hand wasn't broken... All situations are different so you can't speak for them all I suppose....

All I am saying that assumptions like saying some guy isn't professional because he uses a knob, sit lows in the seat or has a high shifter doesn't make them any less professional then the guy driving a truck with no knob, seat filled with air or a normal shifter...

Just my .02 cents.....

darthanubis Thanks this.
  9. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    There great for using on a fork lift and thats about it.

10. Ranger_309

Ranger_309 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2010
    How in hell can you see whats right in front of you when you are lowriding in your rig? To each his own I guess.

11. dave26027

dave26027 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    We were warned in Driving School IN THE 1980's not to use them because of tickets.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.