Violation for Spinner Knob On Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by T|2uck3r, Mar 11, 2011.

1. groundpounder

groundpounder Road Train Member

Nov 13, 2009
    I hear they are legal to use only if your wearing black fingerless gloves..

Arkansas Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    I sometimes drive a 1986 Freightliner and it has a HUGE steering wheel, and power steering. It has 3 spokes and I just use one of the spokes to spin the wheel as I think it takes 2 and a half turns to make a turn....now I know why the DOT says not shift while you are turning....you want to be going slow with this truck so you have time to crank the wheel back and forth in the turn.....

I could see how someone would want a spinner on one of these older wheels....but the wheel turns easy enough using the spoke.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  4. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    The funny thing is, even when setting up and backing into a spot, it isn't like you rotate the wheel 10-15 go-rounds...

The spinner knob is part of the supertrucker issued equipment that makes some newbs feel like "real" truck drivers. The ONLY real use I could ever see with one is if a handicapped person passed the medical waiver exam and could drive, it may be necessary.

Other than that, I'm going to make fun of you, so don't get your undies in a pinch and don't wear your feelers on your sleeve... when you pass by me with your knob on your wheel.. I'll be laughing.

Intothesunset, mtnMoma and Tazz Thank this.
  5. fulgrwnmn

fulgrwnmn Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2008
    whitehouse,oh
    i had a knob on my last co trk that was left there by last driver, my first thought was i'm takin it off, but I left it on and tried it...beings I never tried one before, I actually liked it, it really made a diff, even just going straight down the highway, it was just comfortable, made turning and backing alot easier. Can't see why there illegal, if in fact that they are, not sure..........at any rate its ok to pull 65000 pounds on a 2 inch pin?????????? but there worried about a knob breaking off!!!!! hell even if it did break, so what...you still have the steering wheel, when a king pin breaks, you got nuffin, but fatalities.

6. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    They're not worried about the knob breaking off, they're worried about how you're going to control the truck after just having your hand broken by the knob.

mtnMoma, FalseMirage and Irondog Thank this.
  7. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    i kinda think they help by not over steering when backing up--its more like an old boat tiller
    i have never really tried one --other than borrowing a truck with one to pick up a traqiler--but i did find it a pain in the butt as i wasnt use to it and it was banging my knuckles and geting caught in my sleeve
    but to each his own i guess

8. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Yep, you hit the nail on the head. 392.2DIRT, Driving CMV while dirty, filthy, uninhabital etc. causing the officer to get filthy. :biggrin_2551::biggrin_25521:

scottied67, Injun and trucker_101 Thank this.
  9. canuck in da truck

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    not sure about a dot violation ,but i have seen some that should be a health violation

10. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008

It's a joke Canuck. :biggrin_25523:

Injun and trucker_101 Thank this.
  11. canuck in da truck

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    i know it was a joke---the health violation wasnt a joke tho

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.