Visors? What is legal & what is not?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by REDD, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I've seen those and often wondered why any body wants some thing that blocks so much of your vision. Can you enlighten us? I like a nice drop visor but not that much! I am kinda partial to seeing where I'm going, if you know what I mean.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I see a lot of the local mexican dirt haulers will really low drop visors and nothing is said to them. A lot of them also have super dark tinted windows as well, makes you wonder. The one thing I was told on tint, is that they have a different standard then with cars. On a car, legal is 27%, on semi's they won't allow more then 50%,but these mexican trucks are running close to 15%.

4. RW.

RW. Heavy Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    west central IL
    That thing looks mean, would look really cool on the right truck, but I can't understand how it would also be legal to cover up that much of your windshield.

5. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    come to think of it, CSM (Chrome Shop Mafia) they have put visors with that much drop on a couple of trucks on the tv show.

6. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Where's Diesel Bear?.....he knows.....

7. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    It may depend on the state? I know a guy who got a ticket in KY for a drop visor, they told him if it obstructed over 6" of view it was illegal. He beat the ticket, the officer didn't measure it right. He was supposed to measure straight down from the top of the glass and eyeball the bottom of the visor. It ended up under 6" of view obstructed.

8. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    I run a stock visor...I hate trying to see traffic lights under a drop visor. I had a drop visor on my previous W900 and a lot of times I would have to lean way forward to look under it to see traffic lights, It was a P.I.T.A.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. 07-379Pete

07-379Pete Crusty Commando-Pete

Oct 3, 2008
    Campbellsville, Ky
    If I am the first one to the light I'll look at the lights reflection on the hood of the truck. Alot of towns are puting third lights up mid way up the poll to the right side of the street now for what ever reason, could be for us "drop visor user" to see :biggrin_25523:

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  10. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    Without actually seeing the visor in person. I do not know exactly how much vision it will block, if any.

I just measured my windshield which happens to be in a identical truck that is shown in the picture. My windshield from top to bottom is 20 inches. I currently have 6" of limo tint ran across the top of it.

The top red line in the picture below is the top of my windshield. The yellow line is my current line of sight. The bottom red line is the obstruction of my dash.

[​IMG]

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. A512

A512 Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    nunya
    I think visors should be outlawed, too dangerous.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.