Visors? What is legal & what is not?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by REDD, Dec 26, 2009.

1. 07-379Pete

07-379Pete Crusty Commando-Pete

Oct 3, 2008
    Campbellsville, Ky
    I'm looking ahead down the road while I'm drivin, not trying to look at airplanes or mountain tops. If your having trouble seeing the road with a 14' drop visor odds are you have the air seat aired all the way up OR your 7 foot tall with the seat down, in this case a drop visor is not for you. :biggrin_25526:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    hey on some roads i have to air my seat all the way up!

4. Tank33

Tank33 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2009
    British Columbia
    Personally I think it goes both ways.

An extreme drop visor that only leaves literally 3 or 4 inches of viewing room is kind of a safety issue IMO. However, 90% of the visors out there, are not unrealistic and have absolutely nothing to do with safety. If you can't handle driving a truck with a normal drop visor, without thinking it is affecting your safety, you don't need to be driving one, nor should you.

Personally, last truck I drove had a drop visor, and I absolutely loved it, I would love to have one on this truck, but it is a company rocket, not sinking my money into it. The other truck kept the sun out of my eyes and made things so much more enjoyable.

If anything you could say it IMPROVES safety. It forces your eyes to stay focused on the middle part of the windshield, looking forward and ahead, any distracting objects in your peripheral vision above are no longer there to distract you. If the world wants to get stupid we can give stupid answers!

This is just one more thing wrong with this industry. If some guy wants a 18 inch drop visor, let him. If he has an accident because of it, that is his fault and justice will be served. Don't punish the people who CAN handle it and have a good sense of judgment. It is just like low seats. Some guy's feel it is a safety issue, and can't handle it. I sit on the floor in my W900L, and barely see the end of my hood emblem. I have been in downtown traffic all over, and not once have I had an issue seeing what I need to see, I know where my hood is, I spend 13 hours of everyday behind it.

5. gummy bear

gummy bear Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2008
    kentucky
    I'd much rather have the top and bottom of the windshield tinted before I had a large drop visor, but that's just me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.