VNL 780 - D13 oil in pipe and white smoke

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by bonous, Jul 19, 2017.

1. bonous

bonous Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Good morning,
    2010 Volvo VNL 780 with D13 engine, white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes only when it's sitting and idling. I see oil on the bottom of the clamp holding the pipe from the back of the turbo that connect to the flex pipe. Injectors and cups where done a week ago. There's no codes what so ever, no any type of vibration or lost of power when driving, only a little hesitation when taking off. not loosing any coolant. losing oil but not a lot at all if any. Is it safe to say the turbo is gone?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wallyjr

Wallyjr Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Sounds like it might be starting to go

bonous Thanks this.
  4. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    possible but first when remove the turbo check if oil is coming from exhaust manifold and just going thru turbo i know volvo has big problems with valve seals putting oil in exhaust so that might be an issue

bonous, Johny41 and KB3MMX Thank this.
  5. Rob100100

Rob100100 Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Ask SoCal how much it cost him in downtime and repairs. Answer is lots. The oil could be going thru the turbo thru the doc into the dpf. That repair needs to be looked at as soon as possible. Your truck is telling you there is a problem you need to have it looked asap.

This will not heal itself and the bill will only get bigger the longer it's delayed. It's up to you.

Sorry if the post offends anyone but another driver that I know ignored something that sounds similar and it cost her major money in unnecessary repairs.

KB3MMX and bonous Thank this.
  6. bonous

bonous Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Ok I will check all the above and post back my findings. Thanks a lot for the response!

7. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Are you sure it's oil ??? Diesel fuel from a bad injector install mixed with soot looks a lot like oil .. if it wasn't doing it before injector work it's possible work is defective

8. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Could be bad 7th injector leaking fuel in exhaust or egr cooler leaking.

9. bonous

bonous Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Thanks guys, I'm out of town now but as soon as we get back I'll find it out and post back the results.

10. bonous

bonous Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    An update on my issue. Finally back and working on the truck. I know the EGR valve was gone so today I replaced it and the 7th injector. The funny thing is there's no longer oil in the turbo or exhaust pipes, it's dry but there's still white smoke coming out of the exhaust. According to the driver the smoke was on and off even before the the injectors and cups were replaced. He didn't mention it because he thought it was due to the #5 injector acting up and the code was popping up. Tomorrow I will open it up and check the injectors and cups to see if I find anything unusual. In the mean time can I guess the smoke is due to a bad or leaking valve stem seal?

Thanks!

11. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Did you notice the white smoke all the time or during regen only?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.