VNL860 fridge operation

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by thatguyfrombk, Mar 25, 2024.

1. thatguyfrombk

thatguyfrombk Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2020
    Hey. So my company just gave me a new Volvo. The 860. So I’m totally confused on how this fridge works? I see a knob by the freezer but shouldn’t there be a switch for the fridge itself? “Coming from a KW where I know how to operate the fridge lol”. That’s y’all

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OlegMel

OlegMel Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2023
    I believe there a click on the knob in the lowest setting, that should turn it off

Siinman and KB3MMX Thank this.
  4. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    no manual in the packet that comes with the truck?

5. thatguyfrombk

Oct 17, 2020
    I’ve looked through the owners manual and alas it gives me everything but fridge operation ‍♂️

Numb Thanks this.
  6. thatguyfrombk

Oct 17, 2020
    I know what you’re talking about but I think it’s only for the freezer itself. I’ve turned it to 7 and went about my business for an hour and the freezer is cold but not the lower part that isn’t the freezer which is still warm

7. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    online, w/ wake and model?

8. OlegMel

OlegMel Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2023
    Don’t know what to tell ya. What I do is I keep a small digital thermometer in the middle of my fridge. My fridge also has one knob. I found the sweet spot which keeps my fridge at 39 and the freezer frozen. If that makes sense. This is on a 2016 model. Newer ones might have different operation.

9. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    All RV/mobile fridges are this way. The knob is for both fridge and freezer. Truck fridges aren't perfect. You've got to fine tune them a lot. I keep mine in my 860 on about 5 and it freezes things decent and keeps the food cold without freezing. Food stacked right up under the freezer will still start to freeze.

Siinman and KB3MMX Thank this.
  10. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Takes 24 hours for a refrigerator to stabilize temperature, the top freezer compartment is going to get coldest first.

Normal operation on these refrigerators is usually around 5-6 to keep things from freezing in the bottom.

To turn the refrigerator off twist the knob the whole way to 0 and keep turning until you hear a click sound. (Off position)

Defrost once a month by turning off and leaving open with a old towel in the bottom overnight..... your temps will be more consistently stable

Keeping a RV digital thermometer in the bottom is highly recommended and set alert to 32F to prevent food damage while maintaining coldest temp for shelf life :)

rollin coal, Siinman and 86scotty Thank this.
  11. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I ran a 12v wire into the case of my camper fridge and put a small computer fan in it to distribute the air/temp. It worked like a champ. Not really enough room in a semi truck fridge but man it works great.

Another tip a friend told me about is to use a heat gun to do a quick defrost of your freezer or any place that's icing up. This is really helpful to us who have our fridges going 24/7 and don't want to clean them out to defrost. Pull food out, hit it with a heat gun and have a towel handy to clean up, put everything back in and cool it back down 5 minutes later.

Pro tip: Don't melt the walls of your plastic refrigerator, lol.

KB3MMX and rollin coal Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.