Volvo D12 running rough when cold with white smoke

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by alpinex, Apr 26, 2013.

1. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Don't have to go to volvo any shop can do it its simple and you can save some money on the labor cost as long as they supply the part they'll give you the year warranty which sometimes you need with D12 egr all volvo is going to do it charge extra hours and more money

alpinex Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    It's expensive if you replace both cooler and valve around 3 k or so labor and all if cooler is not bad do not touch it egr prob round 1 k maybe a little less if you do it as volvo prob more.

alpinex Thanks this.
  4. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    EGR blows black smoke

alpinex Thanks this.
  5. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Not on d12d it blows almost a light gray the engine seems like it wants to die then revs up to idle and blows smoke this I know for a fact on other engine yes it does blow black but not on d12

alpinex Thanks this.
  6. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Pablo I got a question for you on the zf freedomline I got an air leak on a truck from what looks like the shifter actuator air supply anywhere I can get some kind of pic or diagram of this trans I need to know what's there before I open it so I an get parts on order

alpinex Thanks this.
  7. BrianE

BrianE Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Livingston Texas
    Coolant blows white. Hope it's not a head gasket starting to leak into the combustion chamber.

alpinex Thanks this.
  8. alpinex

alpinex Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Miami, FL
  9. fr8wurx

fr8wurx Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Lingle, WY
    OP said that it runs rough and blows white smoke when it is cold but runs fine when it warms up. Every Detroit that I have ever owned or driven has done the same thing. If the engine isnt warm enough it blow white smoke and run rough till the engine reaches a temp that it can run correctly. Usually if you plug in the engine heater this takes care of it. Only had one that it didnt, but that one was a pig no matter what you did with it. Just my .02

10. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    very simple. one air line from accessory tank (tank #4 in EU), pressure limiting valve is built in shift unit but may be changed and T-fitting to clutch servo

11. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.