Volvo D13 coolant filter shut off valve ON/OFF position?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Johny41, Dec 8, 2018.

1. RoadtoEmmaus

RoadtoEmmaus Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Hey KB, would you know if that valve can be swapped out from the outside of the housing? Or the o ring changed if its leaking..does it screw out?

Matt1924 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    You've got me there, i haven't had one off in a couple years to remember.

You could try cycling the valve a few times and then running it for a little if the leak isn't very bad. It might straighten out.

#nasriza help please

4. Newto Trucking

Newto Trucking Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    NE Illinois
    Volvo Penta Cooling System | Water Pump, Thermostat Housing and Water Filter, Radiator Cooling TAD1341GE, TAD1342GE, TAD1343GE, TAD1344GE, TAD1345GE, TAD1350GE, TAD1351GE, TAD1352GE, TAD1353GE | Volvopentashop.com
    5 and 8 are the parts you would want to replace. It looks like #8 holds it in there and it’s installed from outside. Part numbers are the same as a D13

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. RoadtoEmmaus

Apr 20, 2014
  6. RoadtoEmmaus

Apr 20, 2014
    Great!..I was wondering why there is a little hole next to the threads for the filter..

So remove filter, to access the screw that holds the valve, loosen screw, pull valve and change oring.

Wow thanks..it was driving me nuts..

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. Newto Trucking

Newto Trucking Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    NE Illinois
    Drain your coolant first )) Report back with some pictures.

8. Blueknight

Blueknight Bobtail Member

May 9, 2018
    You are a life saver

9. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    This thing is the biggest piece of crap

They have a problem where the threaded piece works it's way out of the housing over time with the filter intact and starts leaking. You think its leaking at the filter so you tighten it some more and it's good for a week and starts leaking again. Eventually itll just fall out with the filter.

To fix, dry it and clean it very well and loctite the threaded piece in the threads of the housing. Then put your filter back on and itll be good to go.

Or just shut it off and forget about it. Even closed, it will still seep. Junk junk junk. $450 CAD for a little piece of cast junk, f that.

Mine fell off one day and I found it sitting on the leaf spring when I pulled over (thank God)

10. Matt1924

Matt1924 Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Georgia
    I know this is more than a year later, and I hate to necro a thread. But, I just did this repair today on my 2013 D13 and found out through trial and error that the valve itself is just held in by a metal ring that compresses to hold it in. All I had to do to remove it was take a substantial flathead screwdriver and pry up on it to remove it. Of course I drained the coolant first. Hope this gives a bit of insight in case you ever have to do it again or pass on the knowledge to someone else.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.