VOLVO D13 Soot Level not going down after parked regen

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Pawel-pl, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Ross_Tech

Ross_Tech Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2021
    Michigan
    What is the soot level at?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pawel-pl

Pawel-pl Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Shows level 2 at the instrument cluster.

4. Ross_Tech

Ross_Tech Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2021
    Michigan
    It's hard to narrow it down without being there. But I would lean toward faulty sensor or plugged EGR cooler. I haven't seen many sensors go bad, but it seems like every Volvo I've ever touched needed the EGR cooler cleaned. If your scan tool will watch turbo speed and activate the EGR valve you can test your cooler. Turbo speed should drop considerably when valve is open. If not, your EGR cooler is restricted.

lilillill Thanks this.
  5. Pawel-pl

Jul 3, 2017
    I just dropped the truck to Volvo, they will perform all tests to find out what is the issue. I will update some time tomorrow with the results.

Ross_Tech Thanks this.
  6. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    I had a similar problem that was caused by a faulty EGR valve and injector. I checked the DPF and DOC, had them cleaned and flow tested to rule them out. I changed the differential pressure sensor and cleaned the tubes on the DPF. I cleaned up the venturi pipe and sensor. The EGR valve was allowing exhaust to bypass the valve, so I had it replaced as well as cleaning the EGR cooler, and things started working normally again. Then 800 miles later, an injector went out and the soot gauge started acting up again. After replacing the injector, I've gone probably 10,000 miles and the soot level has been staying around 20%.

Just to clarify, it was the #2 fuel injector, not the 7th injector. I did clean the 7th injector and replace the gasket on it, but that didn't fix the issue.

lilillill and Ross_Tech Thank this.
  7. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    I
    I have a 2016 that will randomly show level 2 on the soot gauge and say it needs a parked regen. Then the message would spontaneously go away and soot would be at 50% or something before I had a chance to find somewhere to do the regen.

Unplugging the ECM connectors, shooting them with some silicone spray and plugging them back in took care of the problem.

Turn the master switch off or disconnect the batteries before giving that a try.

8. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Thanks for that info. I'm going to hook up PTT and test mine just for ####s and grins when I get home.

Ross_Tech Thanks this.
  9. Pawel-pl

Jul 3, 2017
    New update, the dealership said the DPF filter needs to be changed as it is not holding the soot, might be cracked or something. Quote $3900cad for labor and parts.

lilillill Thanks this.
  10. Truckwork2461

Truckwork2461 Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2021
    If none of your sensors and filters are aftermarket replacements then I would go towards the injectors. If the injectors are leaking then the temps can’t get high enough to perform a regen. Ask a dealer to perform an air in fuel test as well as check the egr cooler for leaks. If the injectors are found to be leaking pay the extra to clean your new dpf and doc. Last case scenario the scr is bad. There is no way for Volvo to test this other than process of elimination

11. noworrez

noworrez Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Air dryer filter? It can affect the AHI Module which supplies the 7th injector Should change 2x year, cheap insurance.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.