Volvo Trucks

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by gwalbo, Jun 19, 2018.

1. gwalbo

gwalbo Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2013
    I'm in the market for a new truck. I noticed that my local Craigslist postings have a lot of pre-2010 Volvo trucks for sale, and a few 2012s. Any thoughts for why Volvo owners are more inclined to sell their trucks?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Simple, Volvo’s are garbage. The older ones had non-stop problems with injectors and injector cups. I had a 2009 Volvo 780 that I bought used in 2012 with 425,000 miles on it. In the three years I owned it I went through 3 sets of injectors and 2 turbos. Stay far, far away from an older Volvo unless you enjoy spending all your time and money in the shop.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Didn't you just answer your own question? You have truck manufacturers A, B and C. You want to buy a used truck, and there are tons of A's available out there but almost no B's or C's Common sense would dictate that trucks B and C are more reliable over a longer period of time..

5. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    They are very ergonomically designed and hence the most driver friendly. It's like driving a large luxury car. They have electrical gremlins though. I recently put over 100k miles on a 2016 670 and every few days the cruise control would stop working for roughly 30 minutes. The older 3rd generation trucks had even more electrical problems.

A 2004 670 I drove the tachometer would go insane and you had to replace the whole guage cluster board. Big $$ Then all sorts of check lights would pop up. That was a pre-DPF/DEF truck, mind you.

I would certainly buy one brand new under warranty but used? Probably not unless I was a Volvo tech myself and could work on most things.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  6. SixShooterTransport

Mar 4, 2018
    @Florida Playboy I do agree that the Volvo’s are comfortable to drive. I’ve heard some good things about the new ones, but I wouldn’t touch an older one.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  7. SixShooterTransport

Mar 4, 2018
    Another issue with Volvo is that they keep everything parts and service related a big secret. You have to contact a Volvo dealer to get part numbers and then give those numbers to the local TA or wherever you’re getting a repair done. On my Freightliner I can just call and say “need new shocks, here’s my VIN” and anyone can look it up. Can’t do that with a Volvo. Not a huge deal I guess, unless you need an emergency repair done after hours and the Volvo shops are closed.

Oldironfan and Volvo8873 Thank this.
  8. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Find yourself a 770 with a Cummins engine, that combo is bulletproof.
    The truck in my avatar has 1,800,000 miles on it never had an in frame and only main and crank bearings were replaced.

In the 10 years I’ve had it, it’s never left me on the side of the road and never been on a hook

DUNE-T, Smut, Oldironfan and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Their work visas expired.

Oldironfan, Tb0n3, stwik and 6 others Thank this.
  10. Volvo8873

Volvo8873 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Western Wisconsin
    This is soooo true!!!! It’s like trying to pull teeth from a newborn baby. I have found it is best to actually look at the part which most of the time has the part number then you can search online for the part. But sometimes this isn't the case.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  11. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Only on Oprah.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.