Volvo VNL won't start although cranking normally

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Caberinjo, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Caberinjo

Caberinjo Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Last 10 days starter was slow for a few seconds, but it always started the engine.
    Today after 4 hrs of drive, I made a 40 mins stop.
    Didn't want to start. Oddly, starter was working perfectly. Batteries were 12,4.
    Mechanic sprayed starter fluid, changed fuel filter filled with fuel... nothing again.
    It started for a few seconds, but weakly and not responding to gas pedal at all.
    Good man charged me only 25$ for filter.
    Than I called the other one.
    He checked the batteries, main fuses (I think he couldn't find a fuel pump fuse), he saw that alternator sends voltage back for that short time when engine starts weakly... and charged me 400+$ for that :D
    Didn't solve the problem.
    Now I'm freezing in truck, waiting for a tow tomorrow morning (if possible, because of the snow).
    Is there any miracle man with the right advice out there?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    What year is the truck? Wich motor transmission?

4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Volvo engines are famous for injector cups going bad and engine not starting because they used brass instead of stainless steel. If that the problem they should be upgraded to stainless steel. That my understanding but I don't now much about Volvo engines. If you even have Volvo engine

5. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    sounds like a fuel problem is it really cold where u at if it is remove fuel filters and put a little bit of 911 in filters and tanks and try to prime fuel system and than crank, see if it takes, do you have a glass filter

6. Caberinjo

Caberinjo Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Sorry, my bad.
    Cummins, ISX, 2009, manual.
    I had 3 mechanic worked on it.
    Third one changed 2 sensors... speed sensors or something, but no joy. He lift pump, didn't start again. Batteries ok. Starter ok. He said ECM is ok too.
    No fault codes on computer diagnostic, except 2 old ones: too low coolant (not true, probably bad sensor), and out of calibration error, that's my VGA. Have that codes for years now.
    Than I've got towed to his shop, took a hotel and waiting for outcome tomorrow.
    Actually, hoping they will figure it out what's wrong.
    1000$ so far including rip off from second mechanic, towing and hotel.
    This is becoming interesting.

7. Caberinjo

Caberinjo Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2015
    I told the first mechanic to change a filter and prime it.
    But as soon as he removed the old one, I saw it's full with fuel....
    So didn't start with new one too.
    I was driving 4 hours before pulling over, and the truck was turned off for 30-40 mins. Temperature was around 32-33... I don't think it could freeze under those conditions.
    I added last night 911, but the truck is stubborn... won't start no matter what :)

8. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    Man................. what are yall tryna do scare me outta becoming and O/O one day? Yikes! Minding your business, go to take a short break and suddenly the truck just is being completely uncooperative. Every moment sitting is money flying out the window, not to mention the extra cash lining the mechanics pockets. Even after reading all these horror stories I still feel compelled to have my own truck with my own numbers. Childhood dream ya know and you guys are trying to destroy it !

9. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    That's why I don't drive my own truck anymore. The repairs can keep adding up. One shop says they fixed it, you pay them go down the road and same problem. Another shop says it something else.

I had Detroit Diesel tare my engine down to the block for repairs all under warranty but the 10 days of down time and motel was on me.

Badmon Thanks this.
  10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Cummins ISX had troubles with the fuel pump being made of ceramic and cracking or worse comping apart doing lot of damge. Their is an upgrade to metel pump for the ISX now on the first genrgenera of them or something

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. Caberinjo

Caberinjo Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Today in this repair shop where my truck ended, I saw a brend new Peterbilt classic. 200k$. Looking gorgeous. No ELD. No EGR. No sufficient sensors. Jaw dropping rig.
    If you wanna be o/o, and ready to stay 7 days on the road, that's how you can make childhood dreams come true ;)
    Yeah, that 200k might be a slight issue :D
    But those new ones...
    Just talked with my trucker friend, my former boss bought 2 brand new volvos...
    And both of them spends more times in service shops than on the road.
    I don't know what to do myself, don't have nerves for twilight zones like this, although I have pretty good truck.
    I smell total spending here around 2,5k, plus 2-3 days of sitting (in my case freezing) in the place.
    The beauty of the story is that I still don't know what is wrong with my rig.
    Lovely.

Badmon Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.