W900L leans to right

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by cumminsISB, Jul 10, 2011.

1. KW Parts Guy

KW Parts Guy Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Whats your serial number(last 6) i'll tell you the correct part number, and if it came with one or not! Its typical for some trucks to have no shim or a significantly small shim on the drivers side offset the crowning of the roads.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cumminsISB

cumminsISB Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2011
    D'Lo, Ms
    094865 Thanks, the shim is missing on the passenger side.

4. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    heres how i fixed mine put a jack under axle on side that is low and jack it up until level. measure the frame rails from ground to bottom of rails.how ever much you had to jack it up subtract half that measurement. thats how much of a spacer block you will need on that side. the last 3 w900s i have owned it took a 1/2 inch spacer to level them out.

5. cumminsISB

cumminsISB Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2011
    D'Lo, Ms
    So, measure both sides and split the difference? say one side measures 20 inches other side measures 22 inches means i would need a 1 inch shim? Just trying to get it right before I do it, not trying to be a smarty...thanks for the info very informative. Will be doing my first service in a couple of weeks and will be taking care of a few other things with the leveling problem being one

6. KW Parts Guy

Jul 16, 2011
    There should definitly be some spacers under the left and right side. For some reason I can not see pics of the assemblies when I look up parts at home here. But it shows a pad under each spring then 5 shims, I;m guessing placed in different amounts under each axle.

B81-1006 2Leaf Spring Assembly, Front (13k)
    K174-912 2Front Spring Pad (140mm)K221-4737 4Front Axle Spacer (26mm)K221-4785 1Front Axle Spacer (13mm)
    Install under left hand front spring

The numbers to the right of the parts number indicates the quantity required for your truck. The drawing number is 66867, your local dealer should be able to tell you how many go on each side.

7. KW Parts Guy

Jul 16, 2011
    It looks like this truck is positioned with the drivers side higher from factory. Its pretty common, I have never understood why they do this since most roads are crowned from the center out, logic would say 'raise the passenger side' but as I say all day long 'engineers dont drive trucks'!

8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    :biggrin_2557:
    If you raised the right front side the left rear of the truck will go down causing the trailer to noticeably lean over leftwards. My t6 was missing the spacer on the drivers side, the passenger side never had nor needed a spacer, and my trailer had a visible lean to the pass side. I know it sounds backwards but thats how it works when you raise one side or the other it lowers the opposite side at the rear... oh and it cost
    less to get the spacer installed than the spacer itself costs. 60 bucks kw is really proud.

9. KW Parts Guy

Jul 16, 2011
    Makes sense, never thought about the changes 60 feet away!

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I think you misunderstand. Raising the left front leaf spring with that 3/8's spacer will drop the right rear frame rail of the tractor down a tad... in my case this eliminated a visible lean of my dry van trailer to the right... the 5th wheel was just a tad higher on the right. It had new bushings, the left front axle spacer leveled everything out.. hard to describe on a forum..

11. KW Parts Guy

Jul 16, 2011
    no its cool I understand, just expanding your thought, a minor change to change the attitude of the front of the truck will certainly have more noticable effects the farther you move away from the adjustment. Just when you stare at exploded views of trucks and engines all day, the relationships in how different systems affect each other overall, is diminshed...just a little bit mind you, thanks for the reminder! I was gonna go on a rant about maitenance, but i'll end this with this, check your shocks, a simple heat test by feeling them after a run will save you thousands of dollars in suspension wear. If after a short run of a few miles the shocks are warm, they are working; if they are cold they are done!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.