Wage Garnishment for truck being towed while on home time.

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Truckerguy69, Jan 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    The cop told you it was legal to park there, but he never gave you permission to park there. Contact store management next time. From their point of view, a new truck popped up in their lot, and sat there for several days. Communication is key.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I got a $450 weigh station ticket because I didn’t bother to hit a Cat scale with a load that was improperly loaded. My mistake, so I couldn’t and didn’t complain when my company deducted it from my pay (it was either that or take three days off without pay, which would have cost me more).

I wasn’t happy about it, the loaders screwed me, I had picked up identical loads from there previously (pallets of bottled water) and figured that I’d be okay setting my tandems in the same place, but I was responsible for the ticket.

You made a mistake, as several have pointed out, when you park off the street on private property you have to get permission from the property owner or their employees. The other trucks probably did. I’d say you were lucky they left it alone for three days.

4. Truckerguy69

Truckerguy69 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2021
    North Carolina
    I don't know that
    I'm in the process of contacting Department of labor

5. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I understand you're concerned with the legality of them garnishing your check. Look at it from their point of view. If you owned the company, and one of your drivers didn't get permission to park somewhere, and it cost you $950, would you just eat it? Or would you make the driver pay you back?

If you like working at this company, I'd let it slide if I were you. Technically it was your fault, and they picked up the bill, and now they want reimbursed. You do you, but that's my two cents.

6. tarmadilo

Dec 12, 2018
    And it’s only garnishment if a court orders it. In this case it’s a straight deduction. They could have just fired you.

7. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    As a machinist when I was younger I made a mistake on a part. One simple brain fart cost the company over $2000 and the time to remake it. I didn't get fired because overall I made the company money. Same should be with driving.
    Why should a driver pay for anything company related including overweight and inspection tickets, towing after getting stuck, paid parking if needed and the list goes on.
    ALL jobs will have a human error factor but only in trucking does the employee have to pay for it. If the employee can't preform the job, get rid of them. Just like any other work place.
    I get paid a wage to drive. If I'm to take on financial responsibility I should also get a part of the profits.

8. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Have you contacted the Towing Company to ask "WHO" contacted them to have your rig towed?
    Have you contacted the Property Owner to ask if "THEY" contacted the towing company to have your rig towed?
    What protection did you expect for your rig by parking it in an openly accessible "Mall" to keep it from being broken into or struck by another vehicle?
    Does your company have any sort of driver's manual that lays out what is expected as far as what you could be charged for?
    Lastly, is your employer a large "Mega" Carrier or a small carrier?

9. tarmadilo

Dec 12, 2018
    There’s a big difference between paying for paid parking and paying for a towing and impound yard fee. And in the example I posted above regarding the weigh station ticket, we have a company policy that any load over 40k gets weighed. I didn’t bother because, like I said, I had hauled identical loads previously and figured they’d be loaded the same. I was wrong. It was an expensive lesson, but it was absolutely my fault for not hitting a scale (I passed several before I got to the weigh station).

10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i'll bet dollars to donuts, that since HIS truck was the only one towed..??

it was a white volvo....

those SOB's are trouble fer sure........!!!!!!

Sirscrapntruckalot and tarmadilo Thank this.
  11. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Always get property owners permission to park. That is first and foremost. As for the deduction, it’s your call as a man, own your screw up & make peace with the boss or do as you have done & contact the dept. of labor. Just understand that you should already be looking for a new job. Even if they can’t fire you as retribution for calling the state on them, they can starve you out of miles & essentially force you to quit.

lesson learned. Next time get permission.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.