Wage Garnishment for truck being towed while on home time.

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Truckerguy69, Jan 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Did your boss talk to you after he paid to get the truck out? Did he bring up the amount and ask you if you were going to pay for it? I can't believe he didn't discuss this with you before he started deducting the money from your check. Getting the truck towed was on you no matter if the cops told you it was ok or not. You did not have the property owners permission. Your not telling the whole story here.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    From the beginning I would have been talking to the boss. I would have offered to pay 50/50 and see if he would go for it. You may get satisfaction from the labor board but you won't be working there much longer. And I wouldn't expect any glowing recommendations either.

4. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    This will not end well. I would venture a guess that when the driver signed on, he signed paperwork and got some sort of employee manual. In that manual it has a section that says if driver does something to cause the company to pay for an unusual expense, they can deduct that amount from the drivers compensation.

5. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    It's like the guy didn't even get the part where it's his responsibility to get permission to park the truck before going home.

Guaranteed that it's right there in the company paperwork that he agreed to before being issued his truck.

6. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Do the other trucks park for 4 days as well??

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    For all we know the other trucks paid for parking. If the op would have gotten permission first he likely would not be in this mess.
    Personal responsibility means it doesn't matter what other people do, it matters what I do. The op needs to get some personal responsibility.

dunchues and flood Thank this.
  8. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    They are doing you a favor by taking out just $100 a week. They could take it out in one lump sum. Which is exactly what they will do if you quit.

flood Thanks this.
  9. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    There's several Possible scenarios as to why or even who had you towed. Maybe those other trucks layover and " deliver " to that particular Mall at Bed Bath & Beyond on Mondays? Who knows.Maybe you got towed because it was the "easiest" to tow? Were you Bobtail?Did the tow company say who "authorized" the tow? Was it the owner? Was it the city that owned the land? Was it one of the other truck drivers that knew the owner and maybe paid to park?Was the 3rd truck " the last straw" started making it look like a "truck lot"? I parked at a Mall for a couple years UNTIL a overzealous " Mall Cop" rattled off a City Ordinance as to why I couldn't be there.End of that good deal.None of it really matters now. $100 a check isn't that bad really, is it. The boss had to Front the whole $950! Yes, it sucks, but I would get permission in writing where you park next time.Just how it is. Any tickets are " on the driver".Drive on a No Truck Route same thing. I would just pay it and keep rolling.JMO

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Shopping center owners usually don't live in the state. It's usually a business corp. that owns several shopping centers.

11. tlalokay

tlalokay Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    I thought the OP said he owns the truck. He should definitely be paying for the tow bill if that's the case. Company driver, company equipment? 50/50 is fair- that's what I did for my expensive lesson many moons ago.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.