Waiting for a load

Discussion in 'Heartland' started by Sarge, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Sarge

Sarge Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2007
    North Florida
    I have only been on this site for a couple of days. One thing I have noticed is many drivers have posted gripes about the wait time for loads.
    So how long is too long to wait for a load before the thoughts of quitting your company start to creep in? When I say wait, I mean at a truckstop or terminal away from home.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. vino

vino Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Abita Springs, Louisiana
    I usually am preplanned for my next trip. If i'm waiting for two hours, I call dispatch to see when i'll have a load.

4. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    In the past....anything over 2 hours would make me think about it.

But I come from a long line of companies that NEVER let you sit....for even an hour. I was always pre-planned, always late loading...cuz I was still unloading (after getting to the receiver 3 hours early).

My first 5 years were spent racing home after empty....from everywhere...Seattle, LA, Canada...didn't matter we deadheaded to the yard. Those days are gone forever.

Now I get paid enoug I don't worry about it so much...and I get layover that starts within a reasonable amount of time....not the BS 36/48 hour rule that most companies use.

5. dixiebikr

dixiebikr Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Safety Harbor, FL
    Who do you drive with ?

6. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I run dedicated trailers that go back to a terminal 10 minutes from my house when empty . Longest I'm out is 3 nights .

7. Otter

Otter Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Milton, VT.
    Two hours to two days, depending on where you are and what's wrong.

8. craig7740

craig7740 Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2008
    buffalo,ny
    Heartland was pretty good about pre planning so my next load was ready. But!! many times the appointments didnt jive with the qc and the recivers. One day I drove for about 3 hours to a P/U load was not ready. So I was told to take my 10 rule and drive through out the night which I really dont like doing that at a moments nottice. I mean I just got up and told to go back to bed. but all in all this was not a bad company, just a few minor glitches and thoes nasty internationals lol

9. Dee A

Dee A Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2009
    12 hours is as longa s anyone should have to wait....

10. watchtower218

watchtower218 Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Sarasota, Fl
    No disrespect intended but I'm wondering what planet and company you guys were all on and working for with this "2 hours is too long for next dispatch" stuff??

(NOT that I don't agree mind you, but in todays freight world I have yet to see it in any company?!)

AGAIN, no disrespect, but I've been in this racket for over 18 years now and even back in the good 'ol days I never expected to be able to pre-dispatch or have my next run in 2 hours most of the time...

Heck, the last company I just came from was running the best of the best equipment, on the whole they only shafted you about as much as the rest of the 'better' companies, but yet the trucks still sat for anywhere from 1 full day to ONE WEEK at times between runs! (which is exactly the reason I left) (again, please know this was no podunk fly by night 'driver ripoff' company we're talking about, it's a reasonably large company with all brand new equipment at all times... I was considered a 'preferred driver' there so it had nothing to do with me as a driver, this was happening company wide on a regular basis to everybody)

With freight the way it is currently that seems to be getting to be the norm...

Matter of fact I'm currently looking for a company with a dedicated run into the Tampa, Fl. area so I know the truck will keep running, but that's like finding a needle in 1.000 haystacks, right?

Peace Out, Still Searching!

11. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I got my start hauling sticks aka furniture. We never sat, ever. Unless it was at home.

The first time I ever waited on a load. Was at one of the "Top Tier" mega companies. I wasn't impressed then, I still ain't impressed.

Any good company can keep you moving. But it will all depend on what your definition of "good" is. If you define good as always new equipment, always the highest pay and benefits. Then you should always expect to sit, as they find the freight that allows them to maintain that "top pay/elite" status.

Personally, I'm not impressed with a shiny new Pete. Nor am I impressed with a $1500 pay check that the wife and kids get to spend....2 months before I see the pay stub.

I sat 12 hours this week, between loads. But I needed my 10 break, so no biggy. And I'm home for the weekend...as I'm every weekend. With 2400 miles under my belt.

P.S. Driving for a well founded company, with a well founded and dedicated customer base. Insures that you will not be sitting for up to 40% of your week.

ras1166 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.