waiting for a load

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Sarge, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Sarge

Sarge Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2007
    North Florida
    I have only been on this site for a couple days but so far find it informative. One thing I have noticed is many drivers post gripes about the wait time for loads. How long is considered too long and how long does it take before a driver starts thinking about quitting due to wait times for a load?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. javelinjeff

javelinjeff Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2007
    victorville,ca
    you've been driving for 2 years-you should know there are times you have to wait for loads.if you are always waiting for loads wherever you go then your dispatch is not doing their job.try letting them know when you think you'll be empty to give them the impression you are looking forward to your next load

4. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    this is the process i use.
    once i put in my "empty call" i wait one hour. if not assigned a load i send my FM a message. "where are we at" (it means what # number am i on the load board) my FM, within minutes sends me back A message "we are # 1,2,3" ETC after another hour i resend the same message. i have never waited more than 3 hours to get assigned a load.

keep this in mind. the more hours you have left in your day to work the quicker (usually) you will get loaded. because it extends your range of travel.
    example: if you only have 2 hours left to work (11/14/or 70) you can only pickup a load within about a 120 mile or less radius

i always try to plan my trips so i can be close to the con. the night before. that way i can get up and arrive about an hour early. still having most of the day left to drive gives me MANY more load options.

5. Sarge

Sarge Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2007
    North Florida
    The question was directed at other drivers. I know how I feel about waiting but would like to see what other drivers think. Perhaps I should have made that clear. There are many different oppinions and some people have a better understanding about how the freight works than others.

6. Pete_379X

Pete_379X Super Chrome

Jul 4, 2007
    Arkansas
    When I was sitting in Kansas City, KS.... in a company truck.. at a rail yard.. with freight sitting everywhere... for 3 days.. and they finally gave me a load that picked up in Altus, AR... thats too long to wait for a load when every other driver that came into said rail yard to deliver, left with a load. 50% of which asked why I was waiting... and why they couldn't get me a load out of there. I just took the truck back to the yard and went home. Bought the big Pete a week later.

7. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I personally feel that if I am waiting for a load, then dispatch did not do their job. After all, a daily call in, qualcomm tracking, letting them know that I am being unloaded, they should have a planned reload in process.

Otherwise, they must be reacting to your need, not planning.

I have watched my dispatcher say she was busy, all these trucks emptied today and she has to find them loads. I asked her why she hadn't been planning ahead, she just gave me a dumb look.

8. Sarge

Sarge Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2007
    North Florida
    I have sat for over 3 days in San Bernardino, Ca. And over a week at home before, #### near starved to death on that one. So 8 hours doesn't really sound that bad don't you think?
    Oh you can beleive I was pissed but if there's no freight then what can you do?

9. knighton5

knighton5 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Rose City
    Ive been driving about 5 years, the longest Ive waited was (this year) a day and a half, then they dead headed me home 600 miles to take my two days off (at home).... I guess Knight has to live up to there "Home Town National Carrier" slogan...? ! Yes, with pay (mileage)

10. Jhv6071

Jhv6071 Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2024
    I got here in St. Louis at 11:00 am Sat. 12/30/23. It is now 1:06 am. 1/3/24 supposedly waiting for a load . Been told there is no freight. How long is too long. I'm already not going to make a check next week.

11. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Dude, you resurrected a 17 year old thread.

Magoo1968, JC1971 and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.