Wal Mart loses minimum wage case- jury awards truck drivers 54 million

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Driver0000, Nov 24, 2016.

1. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    All requiring more oversight and management... no thanks. I don't see the problem with being paid to complete a job and the job includes everything from A to Z.

If paid hourly everything will be adjusted and you will still make just as much at the end of the year.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    How can there be more oversight and management when your on e-log and QC and they know every move you make already?

4. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Supply and Demand is two sided... one side asks too much then the other side looks for other options.... farm out driving duties to nonWM drivers.... move DC to other States... etc.

McDonalds has recently stated if the Minimum Wage increases too high they would just install those customer input kiosks.... walk up, touch Big Mac meal, large... pay and out comes your order... awesome.... fewer employees making more money.... great win.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  5. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Im not saying it should be the status quo, just that its possible. The main advantage to a hourly rate is its harder to hide shenanigans. The bigger problem is the idea that a company driver is anything more than a regular employee. There is no such thing. A o/o, even a l/o to lesser extent is there own company. But if your under FD then your a employee.

6. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Wal mart isn't going to just replace all those drivers. Especially with a mega, cause the mega doesn't have the skill set to fill those shoes.

Wal mart does price matching of anything advertised, will match any competitors price.

There were two cashiers at the one down the street that were just WTF traumatized by this. I'm certain they bought into the " we have to give these discounts, that's what keeps your wage down." line.

Well, they were always carrying on how Wal Mart was stopping that practice at like 400 stores.

I used to tell them " Never in a million years will this store be one of them, because there a 4 major grocers within 1-1/2 miles of this Wal Mart, and the only reason people go there to price match groceries is so they don't have to make a big circle and hit all the stores.
    It is the only reason people shop there, it certainly isn't for customer service.
    Well they stopped there price matching, our local Wal Mart isn't one of them. I always try to find one of those two old bats when I check out. I think one flipped out and quit.

7. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    They might know every move but someone will have to manage that information now to see if it's right for payroll or that you are not milking the system... I'm on eLog/QC but no one is using that for payroll or needing to "verify" my work/hours or "manage" me based on it... we have a load going "X" miles and the "X" is used for both billing and payroll..

And if you don't think those "hourly wages" are going to come off CPM or they start outsourcing more loads to other companies than they do now you are fooling yourself.

I'm all for Drivers making more money but it's not pie in the sky outcome....

There are others in the industry that are being abused and used... MW? I don't know but sounds like they make good money and they might be shooting themselves in the foot.

Time will tell.

8. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    And I'm telling you the disorganized cluster F just doing like 30 little grocery stores that Schneider handled just doing one product - produce, and they have to outsource to a small company to pull half their loads, and Navajo for everything going out of state - NO F WAY are they going to be organized or have the talent to put together distribution for all the products Wal Mart markets.

Wal Marts claim to fame for low prices is their distribution model.
    Why do you think those guys are paid so well?

9. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Yeah, my 1099 jobs were/are not by any means perfect but there was never much BS involved in them.Basically just deliver this load (preferably on time) and that's it.What I read about those mega companies make me think I would much rather flip burgers than drove for them.I actually only heard of one East European who drove for Schneider but he only lasted 2 weeks before he said "F it,too much bs not enough money".
    Was Brian taking 15 minutes breakes while coupling or was the movie played in super slow motion?I mean it would be really hard to do it in 45 minutes.It's like 5 minutes job if taking your time.Funny.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  10. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    And yet they want to be paid minimum wage for fueling their truck? Seems greedy to me.

My hometown teachers were some of the best paid teachers in the State... they weren't happy and went on strike... community was like WTF!!!

But, California... {shrug}

11. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    You've never seen anything like it.
    I went back to work for a little guy with like 45 trucks here in town doing local. I'm on the clock $18.00/ hr.
    Zero BS. And I like everyone in the office, and the trucks aren't governed. Some are governed at 75 lol.
    Receiver takes 8 hours to unload me, I get paid for taking a 6 hour nap. I get paid from the moment I walk in, until the moment I park the truck in the yard.
    None of the line drivers deliver, they all drop in yard and I deliver. Same with most pick ups. I get them loaded and leave in yard, so all line driver just D&H.

diesel drinker and bzinger Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.