Wal Mart Transportation lay offs

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by foggy, Oct 2, 2019.

1. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Owned a Materials Handling Business (Forklifts) for 14 years, very profitable and overall
    successful. Actually, one of the former employees ask me when ever we meet,
    "When we gonna open back up, R.J.".

m

scythe08 and born&raisedintheusa Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wingittt

wingittt Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2018
    If I"m forced to use a self checkout. I use my choice as a customer. I leave my cart and go spend my money somewhere else. If repeated by a lot of customers 1 or 2 things happen . 1 the store shuts down or 2 it changes.

p608 and foggy Thank this.
  4. kidz bop

kidz bop Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2017
    robots don't eliminate jobs overall. they only eliminate THOSE jobs. in any given economy there is always alot of work to do to solve what ever is demanded. no economy is perfect always alot of work to do. those employees probably couldn't even make a living doing that job anyways, not a real big loss in my opinion. i've seen some stores like fresh and easy go out of business and they was cashierless i think the trade of was more fraud occured or something. it depends on what each store prefers.

each case of using robots to replace jobs is different.

with trucking we kind of already have driverless trucks it's called trains. as far as other more advanced trucking on highways and city roads and docks. alot of our regulations and laws exist for safety purposes, robots may never exist in those types of jobs for that reason alone. it might be possible, but not practical.

as far as farming. to use a big machine to do a job that groups of people would normally do. that's efficiency. more work can be done for less people, not all about money, if we are more efficient we simply can do more. each person operate a big machine alot more is done than a group of people walking through a large field doing miniscule work. of course there is a cost someone has to build those machines and gather the resources to make the machines and it's components. aswell as other people develop and research how to make those machines and new designs for the machines. that's just more work being done, instead of x people walking a field, you got x people involved in the research development building and gathering resources to build the machines aswell as the facilities that are used in the process.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    Coffey and Lonesome Thank this.
  5. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Walmart now has 48 people working for free, how's it feel to work for Walmart?

foggy Thanks this.
  6. JOHNQPUBLIC

JOHNQPUBLIC Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    An opportunity at what some call a "non meaningful" job could mean the difference between someone putting food on their table or not. It is idiotic to say a low paying job or one that is not "meaningful" in your opinion does not matter when the alternative may be no job at all.

You sound like an idealistic college professor using buzz words, who has lived within the bubble of academia for too long and has little grasp on reality.

Where I live the opportunity for a "meaningful " job is extraordinarily limited. Several hundred people are employed at my local Walmart doing their "unmeaningful" jobs to survive. Without that Walmart there would be several hundred additional unemployed people with little to no additional job prospects. I agree some jobs are obviously better than others but to say some jobs aren't worth worry about losing is stupid and shortsighted. Any loss of a job opportunity is not a good thing.

7. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    You got further than I did, after the first sentence and a half, I quit reading.

foggy and JOHNQPUBLIC Thank this.
  8. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    I beg to differ. This was based on MY EXPERIENCES and at those times the economy was tanking or there were other circumstances. At the time I worked for United they had just pulled out of bankruptcy but they were still under restrictions by the federal magistrate. My time at UPS was when the economy was entering the Great Recession. Both companies took out large amounts for union dues while at the same time new hires had no representation. And contrary to your belief the amount taken out for dues was anything but fair-
    Something is seriously wrong when net pay at a part-time job at UPS is less than a part time job at McDonald’s!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  9. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Except that back then United didn’t get a bailout. They applied for their bailout from the ATSB,but it was denied(they applied at least 3 times),hence the airline’s bankruptcy filing(which they warned that they would do if they were unable to get the loan guarantee).;)

And as to your question-yes new hires WERE REQUIRED to pay union dues. The union representative literally went around the terminal looking for the new hires who didn’t sign the forms on the date of hire,anyone who didn’t had to sign the forms right there and then. Anyone who refused to sign was terminated!o_O

In addition United tried to lie to the State of Indiana stating that I quit when I filed for unemployment after I was terminated. Once I sent a copy of my termination letter to Indianapolis however,the state quickly found in my favor.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    foggy and Lonesome Thank this.
  10. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Th
    The large amount of dues you refer to was 2 times your hourly wage per month, about 50 bucks

11. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Actually it was more than that,depending on where I was living. When I worked for United I was residing in Indiana so I was paying taxes to two states(Indiana & Illinois).With UPS I was in Massachusetts but they have a significantly higher tax bracket.
    Factor in state & federal withholding(SS,MA mandatory health insurance witholding-even back then MA was in a high tax bracket). On average take home pay from UPS was $175 to $230 on average. The hours vary per day, sometimes it was as little as three hours a day to as much as five hours a day, and the days varied as well. Sometimes as much as six days a week so as little as three days a week(irregular operations).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.