walmart a good company

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by hkbravo34, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Cyclesdalecummins07

Cyclesdalecummins07 Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2011
    slidell, la

I could not agree with you more on that. I have seen drivers on here screaming that "If Wal-Mart sells it, I don't haul it" Considering they sell almost everything they are truly limiting themselves the income department. Also I wonder if they stop to think that would they are hauling may be a part to something that Wal-Mart sells just my 2 cents. Also I have met the Vice President of Transportation for Wal-Mart when he came to one of my classes and during his speech he told us that drivers for them earn between 80-120k a year. I don't know about the rest of the forum but to me that is a GREAT pay check for a company driver. Later I also found out that if you have over 3 million safe miles with the company they take you to a dealership of YOUR choice you pick out the truck that you want and the options you want no matter what the color or model. So in the end why wouldn't anyone want to drive for them, I know if I can ever get started and I don't own my own truck one day they are on company that I'd love to work for.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Stoney

Stoney Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Az
    You are correct on the 3 million milers. Here's a couple of their 3 million trucks.

Conservative to the Bone.

Attached Files:

4. BusDriver

BusDriver Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Minooka, IL
    There are a lot of good folks down there. Most of mine are still there. I miss Richland County.:smt023:smt023

5. Stoney

Mar 15, 2011
    Az
    I'm 33, I just got hired by Wal-Mart.

Conservative to the Bone.

6. bodie2

bodie2 Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Lakeland, Fl
    I was on the Wal*Mart driver hiring committee years ago before they did away with it and I will say this. If your inquiring about a Wal*Mart driving position a few things you need to know going in.
    1. Do not leave anything blank on your application, FILL IT OUT COMPLETELY.
    2. Do not LIE about your driving history, career, tickets, accident record, We already know before you come in for the interview.
    3. Be presentable, clean cut as well as clean language, shirt tail in, Look like a Pro that you say you are when you applied.
    4. Be honest, have a POSITIVE attitude. NEVER EVER say anything negetive about a PAST employer.
    5. Don't be sarcastic, this usally will automatically blow your chances. Be respectful to the interviewer
    6. Know the industry, know your job responsibilities, you will be questioned extensively.
    7. Believe in yourself. If you don't believe in yourself don't expect Wal*Mart to believe in you either.
    These are just a few of the things that will be expected of you during your interview.
    Wal*Mart is an equal opportunity Private Fleet Carrier that strives to hire only the best and SAFEST drivers. Here Safety is PRIORITY ONE. You are the Captain of the ship.
    You WILL drive the speed limits, drive legal and respect the laws of every state you drive in and respect ALL other drivers sharing the road with you.
    Be proud of your driving record, CSA DEMANDS IT. Respect for the Individual and Service to the customer is job security here.

If you're interested in joining the Walmart Transportation team as a driver, go to Walmart website and click on careers at Walmart.

You should possess:
    • Interstate Class A Commercial Driver's License with Hazmat endorsements
    • Three years of current over-the-road tractor/trailer experience
    • Minimum of 50,000 miles over-the-road tractor/trailer experience in each of those three years
    • Minimum of 250,000 miles over-the-road tractor/trailer experience
    • No preventable accidents while operating a commercial motor vehicle in the last three years
    • No preventable accidents while operating a commercial motor vehicle resulting in a fatality (lifetime)
    • No preventable DOT recordable accidents while operating a commercial motor vehicle in the last 10 years
    • No more than 1 non-preventable accident while operating a commercial motor vehicle in the last three years
    • No more than two minor moving violations while operating a personal or commercial motor vehicle in the last three years
    • No serious traffic violations while operating a personal or commercial motor vehicle in the last three years
    • No convictions for a DUI, DWI, OUI, or reckless driving with alcohol/drugs involved within the last 10 years
    In closing I will say this. I have been driving for 40 years in the trucking industry and 12 of those years with Wal*Mart Private Fleet. I have never had any situation as good as I have here at Wal*Mart. There are thousands of Wal*Mart drivers who will say the same. Is it a perfect job? Is it a perfect world? I love it, I would never be able to drive another truck anywhere else if I left here, WHY, because this is as GOOD as it gets if your going to drive a truck for a living.
    My years of experience include 20 years as an owner operator with 6 of those years having up to 8 trucks of my own. Now I enjoy doing what I love to do without the headaches of ownership. Make a good living with good benefits. I couldn't ask for more.
    Good luck to you in your pursuit of a Wal*Mart driving career, I wish you the Best.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  7. freight shaker

freight shaker Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Great post!
    Wal-Mart just called me for an interview in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to it. I work for a good company now (good insurance, seniority and retirement), but often wonder if I could do a little better. The D.C. is 160 miles away, but if it's worth it, I'll do it.

8. braceface

braceface Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Thank you very much for the insight..This is GREAT information that you have provided...I believe that driving for Wal Mart would be the absolute best driving job to be had in the industry...

9. Cyclesdalecummins07

Cyclesdalecummins07 Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2011
    slidell, la
    I have a question for bodie2. I have my cdl already but I have very little driving experience under my belt. I recieved my cdl in 2008 to help finish up the debris work in the New Orleans area. That job only lasted about a year and I have no proof of any driving that I did. So my question is what company would you suggest to me to go to, to start getting miles under my belt? I have a buddy who owns a tractor trailer dump truck that I am considering to drive for when I turn 25 to start getting miles. Is that a good idea to start local with my buddy to get miles under my belt or should I go with a national carrier to get more miles.

10. Stoney

Mar 15, 2011
    Az
    It doesn't have to be a national carrier. But try to get on with a any OTR carrier.

11. bodie2

bodie2 Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Lakeland, Fl
    If you don't have much experience and your buddy is willing to let you drivehis truck, I would consider it. Drive for him a year or two get a few miles under your belt then maybe tip toe out into the OTR world. Just beware, MOST OTR companies are hard on drivers. Little home time, little pay for the work involved, poor benefits and the list goes on.
    Take your time and research any trucking company you are considering, check their CSA ratings. Stay away from companies with a bad CSA score..the bigger trucking firms are generally the worst to work for. Take you time enjoy working for your buddy, your still young. Remember your CDL is a precious commodity, take care it. Drive like a pro not like an idiot. You ruin your driving record it takes years to clean it up. Truckem safe Always.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.