walmart a good company

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by hkbravo34, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Now I understand why WM drivers make good money.... besides having excellent driving record... Anyway, I work for Covenant on a WM dedicated account, which is the best thing you can get in that co. But during Thanksgiving, the DC loads where slow and there was an increase on store loads and WM needed support. So we (Covenant drivers) had to run WM store loads. What a hassle!!!:biggrin_25510: After dropping a load at a DC went to dispacth office and said I still had 2 hrs available... Big mistake. They sat at the table with me and started explaining how to fill out their forms and all the protocol and proceedures when running store loads. Then, they told me I had been dispatched on a load and had 40 minutes to be at a WM supercenter (about 30 min far from there).... WHAT!?? :biggrin_2552: I was still trying to understand and memorize everything... Had to rush out of there, hook up the loaded trlr, sent macro to Covenant so they could build up a load assignment, responded their QC msgs, did my log, no time to double check the route.... It was dark already, I was exhausted after all day driving... praying not to get lost, not to screw up, not to be late.... not to forget anything, not to hit anything. :biggrin_2551: Called WM dispatch center when I got there with time and my mileage, did a drop n hook, sent macros to Cov., did my log and went back to DC. All that for .27cpm (this trip was a total of 50 miles). For 2 more days I ran these freaking store loads...:biggrin_2552: Constant rush, tension, stress, not time to check route, low miles, drop n hooks (free labor), calls to WM every time I arrived and left locations with time and mileage, all the freaking paperwork (one set of numbers for WM and another for Covenant)... I was going INSANE!!!!!!:biggrin_25521: And all this for a flat rate of .27 cpm (no extra pay). I hope will not have to run more of these darn WM store loads for Cov.... if so, will let WM know that I don't want anything less than 300 miles and less drop and hook. After all, I am not making the same money as WM drivers and I have to respond to 2 companies at the same time, WM and Covenant. :biggrin_2552:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. vaughncanter

vaughncanter Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2010
    dummy,they have so much freight walmart drivers can't haul all of it,so they contract it out.

thats right we make good money,but we work hard for it.

he doesn't know what he is talking about.

now that is about right,very close.

not union,no union dues

u can live a couple hundred miles away,but u can't park your truck at walmart or home,when u take your time off,at dc only.

walmart is hiring,pottsville,pa,grocery dc i-81,exit 119

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2010
  4. ChipW

ChipW Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Chester, SC
    I thoroughly enjoyed doing the couple of popup loads my company had with WM... Sure, they run the hell out of your hours, but hey... If I'm moving, I'm making money. They tore up my 70 in 5 days and then I rested for two at home. Went back for another 5 and rested at home again, then it was back to OTR.... During those two weeks, I averaged about 2500 miles and was home twice the first week and once during the second week, not including my resting days....

I've only been a driver for 3.5 years and am holding off until I have a full 4 years experience before applying to WM... But those 4 years will have been with the same company....

5. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    I would not work for WM. Not that I don't work hard. I do work hard, no problem and I love life on the road. What I don't like is their eletronic log, and being controlled :biggrin_25512: Maybe one day I'll become owner operator.l

Anyway, another night, after delivering at WM DC in Spring Valley, IL, I decided to try to take my 10 right there at the DC. Had no more hrs to drive and was going to pick up mpt trailer in the morning.... So, I parked next to trucks waiting for appt. and slept. At 30 min past midnight, (I was the only OTR truck there) security bangged on my door saying I had to leave. WM doesn't allow OTR drivers to take their break there. I kindda knew that. Was just trying my luck and hoping it would be ok.... Wishful thinking.... :biggrin_25512: Had to get dressed and leave. Thankfully there was an abandoned gas station half mile down the road where I could park to finish my sleep.

Next time WM dispatchers ask me to "help them out" running their store loads cause their drivers are vacationing, I will politely say, sorry, but nobody helps anybody out here. For the money Cov. pays me, I rather sit than run WM store loads. Too much hassle for very little money... not interested.

6. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    I average a little more than 2500 miles per week running WM DC loads with my co. Covenant. And rest almost every weekend (wherever I am cause I live in the truck).

When I ran WM store loads, WM gave me 5 trips in 2 and half days, one of which had 3 drop & hooks and a total of 250 miles! :biggrin_25521: I worked like a mule for peanuts.... But I learned my lessons and now I know what to do to avoid it.

7. THE ROAD VIRUS

THE ROAD VIRUS Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Nomad
    I noticed that you are really down on drop and hooks. Why? Most companies use "drop and hooks" as an incentive to applicants. It's all considered "no touch" freight, right? Am I wrong on this?

8. bigman77

bigman77 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    rocks covenant is ripping you off paying you .27 cents a mile on WM loads they get paid premium to run dedicated WM...i run a decent amount of dedicated WM loads with Barr Nunn when we run dedicated for WM we only deal with WM we do not deal with Barr Nunn until the dedicated is dried up all our dispatch is done by WM no need for the QC for us no talking to FM/DM/TL make about $200 a day all drop and hook work anywhere from 8-10 hours a day and basically you run as hard as you want to WM dispatch is very easy to deal with last time i ran our dedicated walmart i brought home about $1000 after taxes was on it for 6 days and only ran 1900 miles cant really beat that no can you....ALSO i run loads into DC's all the time and talk to WM drivers all the time I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A WM DRIVER QUITING HIS JOB FOR ANOTHER ONLY TO RETIRE SO THAT SAYS ALOT ABOUT THE TRUCK DRIVING SIDE OF WM

9. Experienced Newbie

Experienced Newbie Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2010
    MO family man.......You say we deserve to get paid more than the Wal-mart employees. Well, it may be true that trucking is a life threatening job (if you fall asleep driving or catch a fire) and working the cash register isn't life threatening.......But how would you like to work 50 hours a week listening to boop.....booop....boop....boop....boop...boop sound that those registers make every time you swipe a customer's case of coca cola, and at the end of those 50 hours every week, your feet hurt and you are hungry, and guess what? you just made 350 dollars. Great now I can pay for my gas to and from work. So, yes trucking might be a life threatening job, and maybe a cashier doesn't risk his or her life checking people's items....but at least they should get 12 bucks an hour. Most of them get about 8 bucks an hour. No, cashiers shouldn't be millionaires, but I would think 12 bucks an hour is better than slave wages.

10. THE ROAD VIRUS

THE ROAD VIRUS Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Nomad
    I have a problem with this point of view. This is America, no one owes you anything. It is up to you to go out and make your own way. If Wally World doesn't pay you what YOU think you are worth, you should leave. I drive a truck because it is what i know i can do to feed my kids. I don't complain about it because it's all i CAN do. Should have stayed in school, could have been a CEO. but I didn't so driving a truck to live is my calling. If working the till at W/M ain't for you, stay/go to school and better yourself. No one should make a "career" out of being a W/M associate, it is designed to be a stepping stone to a better life. I respect your opinion and your point of view, I just don't agree with it.

LostOne9, rich_t, scottied67 and 4 others Thank this.
  11. sandal0906

sandal0906 Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2010
    I27
    So I was woundering, when you guys (walmart drivers) applied to your job, was your DC of prefrence hiring at that time, or did you have to apply at what ever was hiring, and then put in for a transfer?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.