wanna be trucker needs help finding a school.... assist?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by chakat fire storm, Jun 5, 2012.

1. chakat fire storm

chakat fire storm Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2012
    mishawaka, in
    i have been racking my brain for a school. there has been stevens transport wich has a very bad rep. from the students plus they stick you with a bill that is redicioulsy high. surburban truck driving school..... well i haven't a clue what to think of them. i live in battle creek, michigan... any tailgaters out there with me?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckermanD

TruckermanD Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Baltimore MD
    Yup all the way From Baltimore

4. chakat fire storm

Jan 27, 2012
    mishawaka, in
    so any suggestions from ya that i could possible use?

5. TruckermanD

TruckermanD Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Baltimore MD
    Depends on your situation. Is there any schools locally? Are you looking for company training?

6. carl larsen

carl larsen Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2012
    saint mike, mn
    i went to the local community college for my training. it was 8 wks long, very intensive and several companies around town would only hire noobs from the college. I was even told during my first road test that i was the best backer-upper he had ever seen fresh out of school. we spent an entire week on backing. cost? $451 plus i collected unemployment while attending. i would be hesitant about a company school. from what i've heard they are meat mills cranking out barely qualified drivers and spitting them out when they make a mistake due to poor training, or when they start to make real money and are replaced with another noob.

7. chakat fire storm

Jan 27, 2012
    mishawaka, in
    well i have been under chemo therapy for a long time but i am now free and clear. for the past three years i have only been able to find a job privately and that was a seasonal position. i want to be schooled but i don't have the money to go TO school privately. so i have to work with a company schooling. stevens offers room, food, and Dot examinations "financing" and what not.. but what i have read from them... not a very pretty picture underneath the sight that they resently place in the beginning. i live in battle creek, mi... nearest school might be in kalamazoo... soo.. im kinda in a glass bottle at the moment.

8. SOAthor

SOAthor Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Tennessee
    chaka fire storm--- have you looked into Roadmaster ? just add .com and you go to their website. I will start with them next Monday. NO they are not cheap but the appear to have a good rep as far as training. The tuition is arranged to be paid by one of the companies you sign up with and no thats not a perfect situation either it could take them 2-3 years to pay it back if you leave it entirely to the company you work for. Also I should not say sign up with because most of the companies they work with such as Usxpress and schneider are not contract companies another reason they will start you at a higher pay. I hate to sound like a recruiter for them just trying to give you another option they are only about 30 minutes from me not sure for you. Also want to let all newbies be aware that if you sign up with PAM for their training you will be made to drive team for the first 6 months....but they do pay for your transportation and housing as do many of the companies that sponsor your training.

9. SOAthor

SOAthor Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Tennessee
    chaka-- I want to add the number for FFE as they appear to have a good rep (a lot of them I take from a driver whose been with them 3 years) and they sponsor your CDL training . Also dont stress so much how super the schools training might be IMHO you wont be a finished driver until youve spent time on the road. I took out their 800 number as I just thought that could constitute advertising but they are ez to find good luck.

10. truckette

truckette Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Chaka, I just got my cdl's at C1 in Fort Wayne, IN. I went company sponsored throught Driver's Solutions and have a 1 year committment with Pam. I drove my car to Fort Wayne from Akron, Ohio although they do have a hotel shuttle that takes you to & from class. But it was nice having my own transportation to go and do as I pleased during off time. The Company paid for the hotel stay and the tuition. I had to pay $46 the first week for Indiana operators & learner's permit. Then $30 at the end for my CDL's. When you pass you test they give you a $200 which you can cash if needed to use for the $30 CDL fees. I read mixed reviews about C1 and Pam, but everything has gone really well so far. As for the 1 year committment with Pam I don't mind at all because I'll need that year of experience to get bigger bucks later. I feel really good about the training that I received and I feel that with more driving experience (as SOAthor stated) I will be a very good driver. So do your research and do what's best for you.

11. chakat fire storm

Jan 27, 2012
    mishawaka, in
    its chakat... lol... but good suggestions from all of you. problem is, i don't have the resrouces to get to the school atm... and will need at least 300 us dollars to even consider getting to the school. so im kinda stuck atm.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.