Wannabe driver seeking advice.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by MetroPlex, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    MetroPlex Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MetroPlex

MetroPlex Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2022
    Kennesaw, GA
    Thanks! It looks like FFE & KLLM are "sister companies" and I just submitted an application and spoke with a recruiter. I appreciate all the help my friend!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    MetroPlex Thanks this.
  5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @MetroPlex....

IF ALL ELSE FAILS......

REPEAT: IF ALL ELSE FAILS......

Schneider has a terminal located on the SE side of Atlanta.

That's where I got my start, after CDL school elsewhere.

Hey, I'm still alive....now delivering fuel for someone else, in south GA & north FL.

Given that you're a GA resident, you should (if you haven't already) look into scholarship and/or grant money for a CDL school (like maybe the HOPE scholarship program, or similar).

When I went to CDL school in south GA, I only paid for the gas back & for to the classes--and the different tests.

Also: Schneider, Swift, and JB Hunt hire new drivers, but also do A LOT of intermodal work in the Atlanta area.

After you get about 8 months experience driving, I would suggest looking at intermodal duty there--home daily, in many cases.

It's good experience--whether you stay with intermodal, or not.

--Lual

MetroPlex Thanks this.
  6. MetroPlex

MetroPlex Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2022
    Kennesaw, GA
    Thank you Lual! I really appreciate the advice.

7. Lexuslane

Lexuslane Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2021
    I’d check out the cdl program at Chatt tech in kenneseaw . It’s $1700 or so , and a good program.
    There will be plenty of recruiters visiting the class .

man’s I’d you pay for the training yourself , you won’t be an indentured servant to a trucking company for two years or whatever length of time it is

Most companies require you to sign a personal loan for $7-10k for their three week training .

When chatt tech charges less than $2k for a 12 week program .

if you leave before the two years or time limit is up. The trucking company will threaten to sue the next company you get hired with and they will sue you for the money .

they do this to keep you as a slave for one to two years . Most new drivers , I think about 80% ,( I sure someone can correct me here ) quit within the first 90 days . The companies treat them so bad that they leave in less than three months

imagine the media uproar if 80% of nurses or school teachers quit in their first 90 days .

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    MetroPlex Thanks this.
  8. MetroPlex

MetroPlex Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2022
    Kennesaw, GA
    Hey thank you for that information. I just submitted an application for a grant through the WIOA. Hopefully it gets approved and they can pay for my training. But I will definitely check that place out as it is near me.

9. MetroPlex

MetroPlex Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2022
    Kennesaw, GA
    That makes sense. I would prefer to not be under a contract like that. Thank you for the useful information!!

10. MetroPlex

MetroPlex Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2022
    Kennesaw, GA
    I just called Chattahooche tech and they won't have that CDL program until the Fall. For some reason it was cancelled for this summer.

11. Lexuslane

Lexuslane Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2021
    Bummer
    Not sure what other schools have it
    The one in Carrollton used to have a cdl class .

depending on how big of a hurry you’re in you could go ahead and sign up for the one in the fall .

my neighbor went to chatt tech and got an offer from a small heavy haul company , and is still with them four years later .

MetroPlex Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.