Wannabe trucker concerned about entering prime

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Metalhed529, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Ranger70

Ranger70 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Joliet Il
    Pay for your schooling yourself, beg borrow or steal it, actually dont steal it but do not go to any company sponsered training if at all possible, that company will own you and force a lease at you every chance they get. Next thing you know you are under 2 contracts, hate your job and want to walk away. Community colleges are a good choice so are private schools not affiliated with any certain company, that is what I did and got above average training. Remember the schools job is to get you a cdl and that is it. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Metalhed529

Metalhed529 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Lehi, Utah
    I have a Learners permit from the state of utah...does that do me any good? i must have misinterpreted the recruiter on the phone....so i WILL have to get myself to Missouri on my own for orientation?

4. groundpounder

groundpounder Road Train Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Its not exactly a trade secret that Prime is a bottom feeder..

dave26027 Thanks this.
  5. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    Paying for schooling has its advantages... it really a choice of money spent vs. servitude servicing the debt.

However, I challange you to find one person who was FORCED into a lease at Prime. (This thread is about questions of Prime) Not even here, on TTR has anyone ever made that claim.

6. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    No, Prime pays for the transportation... Greyhound. Or they will reimburse the amount of the bus ticket if you happen to choose another mode of transportation.

7. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

Can you afford to pay for school yourself? If you can there are a few good companies better the prime that hire from soc, ut

American Trucker

8. Metalhed529

Jul 27, 2011
    Lehi, Utah
    but if i am given the boot for whatever reason i gotta get back on my own right?

my only concern is my weight...im 6'4 and 300lbs i dont know what that puts my bmi at...but i have never ever had issues with my blood pressure etc.. im pretty healthy just stocky

9. BGriffith

BGriffith Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Alabama
    You can check your BMI here just put in your height and weight

10. The Duck

The Duck Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Orlando, Fl
    Hey Metalhead. You and I are in the exact same boat. I've got a decent paying job but after 9 yrs, have come to hate it. Im also looking at Prime as well. Been lurking on this website for the past few months - there's a ton of good info here. The posts from the guys currently or recently in training have been really helpful. Thanks for posting this question and best of luck to you!

11. Metalhed529

Jul 27, 2011
    Lehi, Utah
    you too duck, lemme know if you ever get it figured out ha ha who the hell knows if i ever will

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.