Wannabe trucker concerned about entering prime

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Metalhed529, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Ranger70

Ranger70 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Joliet Il
    I do not think anyone is talking trash about Prime if you are happy with them then good for you, and I really mean that, What works for one man may not work for another. All I was saying was try not to go with company sponsered training, If you took ofense to that U2 I am sorry did not think that would offend anyone.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DragonTamerBrat

DragonTamerBrat Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Prime pays your way to Missouri.

4. DragonTamerBrat

DragonTamerBrat Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2011
    BMI = 36.5
    Which puts you squarely in the obese category. I do suggest trying to shave a few pounds off, not because you don't want issues at Prime, but for your health. Regardless of how healthy you feel you are now, you won't stay that way. (Speaking from experience here, dropping just 10% of your current weight helps the way you feel a LOT.)

5. Jaxx34

Jaxx34 Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2011
    cleveland,OH
    Another new guy here,from Cleveland,Oh.I've been lurking in here for a couple weeks myself,and it seems from all my research that Prime sounds like the best.I do construction(heavy equipment operator) I have had my cdl (class A w/ all endorsements) for 10 years.I just need some actual over-the-road time.So I'm gonna call Prime on monday just to see what their talking about.Wish you others much luck too!

6. BGriffith

BGriffith Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Alabama
    Same thing here, from everything I've been reading Prime really seems like the best place to start at in my opinion. Currently just trying to get some duck's in a row before I contact a recruiter so I can leave ASAP when I'm good to go.

7. paoldschool

paoldschool Heavy Load Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Mount Jewett, PA
    You will always do better going to a carrier as a student driver with your CDL. Local Tech schools and community colleges are the best places to get your CDL. Some states also have programs to help pay for training also. Most carriers will reimburse you for your tuition over a year or so. As for leasing, some compaines will try to push a lease on you, I personally don't know about Prime, but I have trained several refugees from Prime. I don't think it is wise to even think about leasing or owning your own truck until you have at least 3 or 4 years under your belt. Just be careful, go into what ever you do with both eyes open. Trucking companies will screw you anytime they can, they don't see where it is bad, its "just trucking." You will get tired of hearing that. It really is one of those jobs that you will love to hate!

Ranger70 Thanks this.
  8. Swiftey

Swiftey Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Your fine, the ONLY people with access to your juniv record if there is one is the border peeps. Your employer cannot acess or find anything on you if it was before 18, the only ppl where that never ever gets deleted is at the border.

9. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    You are making a career decision !!

It can and will effect your entire life.

You can NOT do too much research !!!

Dig deep, find out ALL you can,

too much depends on your choice of companies....

groundpounder, Ranger70 and BigJohn54 Thank this.
  10. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    On your first part of your original posting you asked about lying or forgetting information on your job application. This could be a major problem but it's not that hard. Only answer what they ask, do not volunteer any information that you think they might want to hear. Like your example with your friend. If they ask have you ever stolen anything you can answer no if it was him that got caught and you didn't take anything. Or say you got arrested for a DWI and was found not guilty. You'll answer no to the question do you have a DWI. You don't because you were found not guilty. Now if they ask have you ever been arrested for a DWI then you're stuck. But I haven't seen a quetion like that since the military.

Anybody can research a company and know how the company operates. You don't need to drive there to compare numbers with the inspections and the SMS system with the FMCSA.

Prime has 4018 power units,they've been inspected 10500, they've had 506 accidents which puts them at a 12% accident rate just a little higher than the mega carriers. Their numbers are in the red for driver fitness, drug/alcohol,and vehile maint. You can draw many conclusions for these number but know one fact. Where the numbers hit the red you'll be getting inspected more often.

Coldpatch, groundpounder and Ranger70 Thank this.
  11. Longshot34

Longshot34 Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2010
    InTheSticks, USA
    Here's a suggestion...DON"T SIGN WITH PRIME!!! PERIOD! They are the joke of the hwy, they get paid in pennies, and have a really...really bad rep! Look at all your "options". Prime Inc. certainly shouldn't be one of them!
    "Look, a Prime truck with all of the tires touching the road".
    From what I've learned in my few short yrs...the following are the WORST companies to go with..
    Prime (TOP of the list)
    Warner
    USA Trucking
    Swift
    Scheider

I'm sure MANY will agree that the above definately rank in the Top 5 absolute worst!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.