want a cdl-a but...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by uscscott, Feb 28, 2019.

1. uscscott

uscscott Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2019
    Did folks from this site earlier asked, mislead me by saying go ahead and answer that question honestly? I really want to drive. Always wanted my cdl-a and handle a rig. I am ex-military, and believe that i can adapt. The wife is good with it. Besides, I have 2 daughters in college, and a big mortgage in lake wylie sc. So its either drive. Have the independence that accompanies that. Make enough money to take care of the bills and the girls. Or sit in a cubicle or warehouse and scrape by on nothing. Dealing with the stress of management etc....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uscscott

uscscott Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2019
    Chinatown, I really wish they would only ask if i have had any violations in the past 7 yrs. But that isnt the case. They ask, have you ever had any. I am not foolish enough to expand on that question with unnecessary information that would disqualify me. I would have answered that question honestly. I am not giving up yet. But....I hate to think i drop 5 grand on an education, I simply cannot use. Thanks

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Put some apps in. All those companies I listed hire drivers with a less than stellar past, including Covenant.

austinmike Thanks this.
  5. uscscott

uscscott Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2019
    thanks

6. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    China Town

You are so correct. One must take the time to fully read and understand the questions before racing to mark something that could lead to disqualification status.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. uscscott

uscscott Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2019
    triple, I understand this. however, they do ask the question on those online apps have you EVER had a dui? if you put yes, an explanation window will drop down and ask you how many and list. the other issue is even though I have a pretty clear DMV MVR in SC at least over 10 yrs back (that's the longest they would allow access to. 3 or 10) I had one ticket no more than 10 mph over the speed limit 7 yrs ago. it appears all of these trucking companies pull a background check on you. I also pulled my SC law enforcement division criminal report. all 3 and a drug charge all pre 1983. 2 dui's within 8 mos of one another in 1980 along with the simple possession of mj and 3 Quaaludes. and lastly, my final dui in may of 1983. If they didn't pull a background check on me past 35 yrs ago. I would be fine. it all happened

8. uscscott

uscscott Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2019
    so long ago when I was a stupid kid. still got and honorable d/c 2 yrs after the 1980 incidents. no drinking or drugging since 1983. sober since.

austinmike Thanks this.
  9. Bolt Thrower

Bolt Thrower Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2019
    are you stating that when a company request have you ever had a DUI you should just say no all the application? I'm curious about this because I had a DUI 11 years ago. I've noticed that a lot of applications they give you a time frame of when you had your first and only DUI but some companies ask if you've ever had a DUI. I've always been curious on how you're supposed to answer that

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Answer honestly:
    Have you had a DUI within the last 10 years? Answer - NO
    Have you EVER had a DUI? Answer - Yes

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  11. BDSmithTrucking

BDSmithTrucking Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2019
    I know Paschall Truck Lines will hire felons and such. I know PTL gets a lot of bad rap at times, but it is a really great company if you're a hard worker and get the right fleet manager. As I company driver I was running 2800-3200 avg a week, had a great fleet manager (ask for Taylor) and all was well. I'm lease op with them now and not having AS fun a time, but I'm only a month in, I'm sure I will settle in eventually, it's a whole new beast of a world. lol

Best of luck to you wherever you go and be safe.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.