Want to avoid getting burned by a lease-purchase agreement?

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by rookietrucker, Dec 13, 2009.

1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Man. Last time i ordered a new truck they didn't put the build order through until after the non refundable security payment and financing was set.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    Starboyjim and Mr huds Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mr huds

Mr huds Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Briggsville AR
    If you want a company job try Melton they no longer have a lease program but it is flatbed

4. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL

So their gonna custom build a truck without a firm buyer????....wow!!!!!....good to know...

Mr huds and spyder7723 Thank this.
  5. Shawnsooner

Shawnsooner Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2015
    The sandbox
    Quality Equipment isn't a trucks ng company. Quality Carriers is but they use DB CUSTOMS to lease from.

6. Teddy_Salad

Teddy_Salad Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    How many businesses go belly up the first year in this country? MOST of them, no matter the type of business. Even the smartest, hardest working people can fail before they become successful. Do your homework, work hard and work smart.

7. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    "
    All those caps look a little salty, wolf98, what's up with that? The question was :"and their doing this without so much as a credit approval??? or a down payment, security deposit?????...." What about that, can you provide an answer? The usual thing is for a customer to order a truck, place a signed agreement right next to their check for a specified percentage amount, and wait for delivery. Or go pick it up.

You're comment "when the truck gets delivered I will have to pay something just unsure how much." You're not sure how much, and they're building the truck? I may need to go there myself, but I'll have a clearly stated, specific amount before I do.

I speak for myself, but I get it, you haven't put anything down because the truck isn't available yet. Right. It's just that it's an unusual process. Something about it doesn't pass the sniff test, or else I just don't get it either. What's your plan if they want a bigger percentage than you have money, before releasing the rig?

8. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    The article by rookietrucker at OOIDA is very strong information, very strong. In fact, incredible that people are willing to enter into an agreements like those stated.

I have a question about one item though, the one where rookie says "companys have to pay for trucks so they dispatch company drivers first, and on better paying loads?" I'm not sure that's the case. I/C's (me and others) are cheaper to run for the company. The whole expense umbrella of the truck goes away for the company. Insurances, other fees like workers comp, 2290, more, are funneled down to the I/C, taken out of their revenue. So the I/C is actually less expensive to run for the company.

I do think we get heavier loads, but I also think I get more consistent miles.

Hysterical. Someone commented "you have to run 3,000 miles/week just to make it." It is to laugh. I don't set out planning to run less than 3,000 miles/week, and really, that's a minimum. When I'm out, that is. Maybe I'm just an old mule who doesn't know how to stop working, but even so, 3,000 miles/60mph average speed is only 50 hours of driving. Plus a little sitting around at docks, of course.

9. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    I try to tell these young guys what was told to me. The first rule in owning a truck is not to lease one from someone that controls your dispatch. Most fail. Also, I'm just not going to kill myself out there just because they don't want to raise the rates. Not worth it to me.

I haul cars, drive a new company vehicle and average $1600 take home per week after taxes. I don't need to own a truck. I also have to walk far to get all my vehicles and then load them. I am soaked when loading is completed so yes I know about work and I don't have to run 3000 miles to make good.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Joec111 and DTM Thank this.
  10. KingG239

KingG239 Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2014
    NEW Jersey
    I'm thinking about doing car hauling how do I get in?

11. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    Start calling car hauling companies. Find out which ones have a training program and then go for it. My company (Moore Transport) is a great company but there is a waiting list. Be forewarned, companies with training programs won't pay as much as seasoned car haulers when starting out. First year is slow and sooner or later you are going to damage something. It happens. Ask many questions to other drivers about loading and get your routine down and the speed will come in time.
    Good luck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.