Want To Drive A 379 Pete

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Debi's doinit, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Debi's doinit

Debi's doinit Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    NEED HELP FINDING A COMPANY THAT HAS 379 PETERBILTS THAT RUNS 11 WESTERN STATES OR SO. THERE JUST ISN'T THAT MANY COMPANIES WITH THE BIG IRON, UNDERSTANDABLY WITH FUEL PRICES THE WAY THEY ARE. i MIGHT EVEN GO FOR A VOLVO, NOT THE 670 BUT THE BIGGER ONE. I'VE TRIED HARD TO GET PAST THIS PETERBILT FETISH I HAVE. I AM TOLD THAT A TRUCK IS A TRUCK, ITS ONLY A TRUCK. I DON'T AGREE, MY RESPONSE WAS " DON'T SAY THAT MY TRUCKS GOING TO HEAR YOU." APPRECIATE ANY INPUT. THANKS

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Usually the nicer (and faster) a company's trucks, the lower the pay and more demanding the runs. You don't need it. Go with a normal outfit and be happier, run fewer miles for more pay, and keep your sanity.

If I had a company, I'd add on fancy toys like 379s and KW W900s with lots of chrome. I'd also pay only about a dime per mile. No worries, though. I know there are plenty of fools out there who would drive my rigs. I may even have a waiting list of people wanting to drive my stud-muffins for my chicken feed pay.

If un-governed 379s make up a company's fleet, that company will probably want you to run fast, usually faster than the speed limit, to make deliveries.
    I nearly went to work for such an outfit once. I was all set until the big man told me his 379 trucks "do 80 and are expected to run 80". That was the end of that conversation.

4. Road Dog

Road Dog Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Ahhh 379 Petes a great looking truck.And a nice to drive going down the road. However there are so many places to back into docks where space is very limited. And oh yeah just about every company is using 53 foot trls.which makes for a lot of fun in these areas.I drove a big ole 900 KW,about the same size as a 379 for a while. And believe me it was a royal pain in the rear getting into some docks. The shorter trucks with a set back front axle are so much better in these situations. But if wanna be an interstate cowboy and work fior low wages ,go for it. Just like the 13 and 18 speed trannies,there is very little use for them today with the power the engines are putting out.The last truck I drove had a 560 Series 60 Detroit with a 10 speed. It would pull good and keep up with just about any other truck in the hills. If I were to buy a new truck today,it would be a Cat pow:biggrin_2552:ered T600 KW, with all the bells and whistles.

5. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    Now aren't you glad you got eveyones opinion and no answers!

I would imagine many a produce running small fleet runs out your way and run the 379 petes. Personally I love them, only better truck is it's predecessor the 359. I've owned a bunch and would never buy one again but I'd drive one in a heartbeat

6. Pete_379X

Pete_379X Super Chrome

Jul 4, 2007
    Arkansas
    Werner runs some 379's. There is a strictly hazmat only co. here that runs only sky blue 379's. Triad is their name. A few tanker co's here in the state run flat top 379's. TMC has 379's. Not too sure about co's on the west coast, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

7. beemermcr

beemermcr Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Try Western Distribution - beautiful blue Petes: WDTC.net

8. Etosha

Etosha World Citizen

Aug 19, 2007
    Edmonton, AB
    Saw a brand new (2008) Pete yesterday pulling a suber B... was absolutely fantastic. His company was from the Vancouver area, but I forget the name, sorry. But you probably dont want Canadian company info I assume?
    Oh it was sooooo coooolllll.... I was drooling....:love10:

9. Sarge

Sarge Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2007
    North Florida
    One company I talked to recently is Tri State Motor Transit. They are a good company. The also run 379 Petes. Only thing is they require 2 year OTR and a DOD security clearance. They also haul mostly explosives and radioactive waste. I was gonna go team with them but my co-driver can't get the DOD clearance.

10. bobabooy

bobabooy Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2006
    northwest us
    jim palmer out of missoula montana

11. Debi's doinit

Debi's doinit Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Thats what I here about those set back axles. I've never even drove one...I set in one one those big volvos once and it was certainly driver friendly. big petes all I've driven. thanks for listening

Thanks Darlin'. I appreciate that.

That sounds good. I don't think I should be hauling explosives but I check it out. THANKS

Western Carriers Was On The Top Of My List. They Require 3 Years Experience. I Only Have 2 Years "varifiable" 26 Years Truck Drivers Wife. Thanks Appreciate The Come Back

jUST DEPENDS WHAT FLIPS YOUR SWITCH. I HAVE A PASSION AND I GET THAT TINGLING SENSATION...WHOOPS, GOT CAUGHT UP IN THE MOMENT

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.