Want to override qualcomm on Idle time

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Harley Mike, Aug 9, 2009.

1. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    My inquiry wasn't about idle time or any of that.
    its about shielding the beacon from detection without major hassle(work).

Total Outlaw,and not for the DAC Fearful :biggrin_2559:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Redwolf

Redwolf Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2007
    IL
    I dropped my truck off at the yard this winter. I shut it down when I left, and it was running when I came back to work. I asked one of the mechanics if they were needing to service it or something, and he told me they start them when it gets too cold.
    I was expecting to freeze for awhile warming it back up, but was able to climb into a nice warm cab!

4. Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2007
    PO Dunk Idaho
    I have heard that a metal bucket being put over the dome will kill any transmission from the truck, if there is no room for a metal bucket, you could try tin foil, or other metal that could be wrapped around over the dome.

5. kaiwren986

kaiwren986 Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    The thing with BLOCKING The signal is you and your dispatcher are going to get a message about the unit being out of service and unable to update location etc. You might get away with it once, but every night? Not going to work. Just do like I said and you'll be ok.

6. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    He means for driving purposes, not idling. And if the folks complain that they aren't getting any signal, just tell them you were parked under a canopy.

7. Mr. PlumCrazy

Mr. PlumCrazy Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Lexington NC
    When I first started driving a truck my first job was with USA Truck. I normally got home every weekend even if it meant going 1100 miles out of route yes i said 1100 I picked up in dallas on thursday for a chicago monday delivery firday morning i was in NC but any way i was in OK one wenesday called jimmy mack told him it was time to go home I picked up a load for danville va had to go by the van buren terminal when i got ready to leave they had gave my load away and gave me a load going to omaha told me they was going to get me a load from there going home. I delivered in omaha and picked up when i looked at the bills they elizabeth nj I asked was this was going to be a relay and jimmy mack told me no i had to deliver it it was a hot load i told him remember what i told you he said yea and hung up I drove to glendale ky pulled up in the truck stop got my bags out the truck locked the keys up in it got a cab to the bus station and went home Tuesday morning jimmy mack called me at home asking me did i deliver the load cause they was calling about it I told him no he said whats the problem I told him it wasn't a problem I told you I was going home and you truck is on the lot in glendale send me what you owe me and have a nice day

They say the company people be reading this board so whats up jimmy mack if you are still there and side winder i hear you gave up trucking and now working in the safety department Hey Cindy I bet you still look fine
    Had to give my shout outs

8. Lil'Devil

Lil'Devil Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Great White North

Tin foil works quite well, just make sure you cover the entire dome, I used to run for a company that had qualcomm and I had the dome put inside the sleeper for easy acess.

9. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    That does not work !
    Worked on the old style QComs but it has no effect on this new stuff. :biggrin_25512:

Omni* I think he calls it ?

10. ghostranger5of7

ghostranger5of7 Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Springdale, AR
    :biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559: Had a similar message way back.
    Him: You've been sitting for 10 hours, and your truck's been idling for 8. That's unacceptable.
    Me: Um, yeah, I wanted to sleep hence "8hours"
    Him: You're in Arizona. You don't need to idle to sleep.
    Me: Yeah.. I'm in NORTHERN Arizona. Check the night lows for Holbrook
    Him: Oh...
    Me: Yeah, at ten deg F It's idle or die. I quit. This is my official 3weeks notice.

11. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    I do NOT understand this thing you people have about "covering" the dome or pulling fuses? Do you actually think that when the qcomm comes back up it's not going to send any information? Is that pathetic job so important that you need to try to hoodwink the electronics in the truck?
    You apparently are so technologically inadequate that you think the company won't know? That qcomm as soon as you put a fuse back in or uncover the dome sends out a message telling the world where it is at what time it is and when the powers that be at the yard see that the truck moved so and so miles in so and so amount of time and then mate it up to the information when it "went off the air" you'll have to answer the questions about to be asked by the people who can put your arse out of the truck where you set!

Besides the fact that was mentioned earlier that you could be fired, what good will it actually do you? Why a bucket? Or aluminum foil? If that company is paying you so little to run so hard then I'd say it's time for a change up! You are NOT getting over on anything when you get to the yard and they hook up to the truck and start downloading the ECM! Well at least you made it to the yard where your car is unless you went there by bus then you''re still in the same boat. Paying your own way home!

Now for those of you who have these imbecile company owners who think you should drive fatigued by not allowing the truck to idle. There is enough line on the Qcomm to hang it out the window and the beeping should not bother you over the idling of the engine while you get the needed amount of QUALITY sleep to be safe in your job! Then you can answer it in the morning or when you wake up and ask them if they slept in their house with the heat/ac off or if they are sitting in a comfortable office? If so then you deserve the same treatment as they get. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander and if not there is another bottom feeder just around the corner!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.