Want to play recruiter?

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by reptij, Oct 13, 2011.

1. HAMADOWN

HAMADOWN Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2011
    DETROIT, MI
    Thanks Crusty, just looking forward to changing jobs..taking a pay cut for a while but hey....money isnt everything.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cheflee

cheflee Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2011
    michigan
    hey hamadown i filled out an app last night and they called :biggrin_25516:me this morning at 1130 so they get back with you pretty quick.

4. walstib

walstib Darkstar

Not trying to burst a bubble but a pre-hire letter means nothing...They will either offer you a job at the end of orientation or not...There is no way to know if someone is capable of being on their own looking at an application, it can only be determined from interaction with people that know what to look for...Good luck!

horsecrazychic22 Thanks this.
  5. ismoniak

ismoniak Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Nevada
    Tuition reimbursement will be paid $100 per month for a maximum of 48 months from the date of hire, so the max reimbursement is $4800. It is contingent upon the driver going with Watkins and Shepard as the first place of employment and successfully completing the 90 day probation. If you have a safety incident, you'll miss out on that payment for that month, but then payments resume.

6. gryhoundone

gryhoundone Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2012
    Wilmington,Delaware
    american tucker watched some of ur u tube vids,interesting.I'm 64, retired nyc bus operator thinking about W/S because of the no 2 people in a truck policy.2weeks to finish trucking school in Lester,Pa, unless I don't pass the final skills test the first time then it's a 2 week set back.All the post to u about money and stuff, interesting.About the med test I have hypertension being controlled with meds.do u know the b/p limitations they want when they test u.Also if u grind a few gears in the upshift and some in the dwnshift during the 10 orenitation will they frown on u? More practice(driving) makes a better shifter right? I live in wilmington De. but would prefer to not drive in the cogestion of NJ,NY,Conn,Pa, the NE period.All my children have flown the nest and the young lady can do without me for a few weeks.Do they give u a choice of where u want to be and don't want to be most of the time? I just want to hit this career running like I did driving greyhound buses and then transit bus.Don't want work harder than necessary. Any advice on the medical would give insight and where to be in the 48 to make a $ and chill would also be helpful to an OG. Thanks

7. walstib

walstib Darkstar

Go south and east and you'll be as busy as you want to be...They'll easily route you up north when you want to go home...

the flying scotsman Thanks this.
  8. Henley

Henley Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Rock Springs, WY
    They don't expect you to be an expert shifter during the 10-day training, but they do want to see overall competence and responsibility behind the wheel. You can stay as busy as you want, and once dispatch learns how you want to run they'll pretty much keep you at that pace. There's plenty of freight in the southeast, but most of it goes north. You WILL be expected to run the northeast, New England, and the mid-Atlantic--that's just the job of an OTR driver at W/S. In my opinion there are much bigger things to worry about as a truck driver than driving in the northeast. Traffic is a part of the job, and W/S OTR drivers regularly see plenty of it. Around Atlanta, for example, and along the entire I-5 corridor. You'll hit beastly congestion in Dallas, Houston, Denver, Phoenix, Miami, Oklahoma City; not to mention the assorted construction zones scattered through every state or the random accidents that will slow an interstate to a crawl in the middle of nowhere. Actually, traffic is often much worse on I-81 through Virginia than it is on the New Jersey turnpike. Because you live in Delaware, any load to get you home is most likely going to deliver in New Jersey or Pennsylvania, as your home terminal would be Sayreville, New Jersey. It's not far from New York City.

You can ask to go west and dispatch will send you that way if they can, but you should understand that freight for W/S runs mostly in two loops: a western loop and an eastern one. In the west, most loads come from Santa Fe Springs and head north up the 5 or 15. Once empty, you'll often be given a backhaul right back toward SoCal so that you can load out of SFS again. In the east, you'll load in Myrtle, Dalton or Conover and run north, usually to Ohio or New Jersey and then backhaul south again to one of those three terminals to start the loop all over. This is how W/S operates, and it's possible to get stuck in one of those loops for months. If you're running the eastern loop you're going to see the northeast--that's just how it is. Out west, you'll definitely get into L.A. traffic.

9. gryhoundone

gryhoundone Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2012
    Wilmington,Delaware
    Henely,thanks appreciate the answer. I should be better at the shifting in the future.If traffic cogestion comes with the job, so be it, not the first job where i had to deal with the congestion.Can't argue where the loads are going becuase I'm gonna smile when I get the direct deposit e-mail.Again thanks and be safe.

horsecrazychic22 Thanks this.
  10. RoadCall

RoadCall Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Conover told me they run plenty to Texas as well as Minn. out of there. Is that not true? Also heard LTL loads going to New England were being dropped in Jersey, thats not true either?

11. Henley

Henley Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Rock Springs, WY
    It is true, RoadCall. For the most part, anyway. Most of the New England LTL is handled by the shortline drivers out of Sayreville who run those routes every week. But not all of those loads get dropped for the shortline guys. I don't know the specifics, but it seems that most of the Conover loads I've pulled to the northeast or New England were truckload furniture deliveries, or maybe two stop loads with 50-60 pieces at each stop. It's easy to understand why those stops wouldn't be added to the shortline routes.

Conover does send freight all over, and I pulled a load out of there to the backwoods of northern Minnesota once. Conover operates a little differently than Myrtle or Dalton, mostly because it has so much more freight, as well as its own shortline drivers that just go out and back. OTR drivers still regularly end up in New England from time to time, as well as many other places far off the beaten path. Most OTR drivers with W/S will see every one of the lower 48 states, and lots of the back roads in those states, if they stay at least a year or two.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.