Want to return to trucking.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sling-Shot, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Sling-Shot

Sling-Shot Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2017
    I had twelve years OTR experience, then wife said enough it enough. I know you have all heard it.
    I left trucking and went to work working on trucks and heavy equipment, just over thirty years worth.

I'm 68 years young and in excellent health, don't smoke, drink, eat right, and never done drugs. Have clean DMV. I have hauled refrigerated, both frozen and perishables, hauled cars for five years, pulled doubles in the Northwest in both winter and summer, seen plenty of snow and ice. All can be verified through previous employers. I was also a driver trainer for North Wind Trucking. Also dispatched for them for a while.

So what is my question. Since I haven't driven professionally for many years, and my age will probably work against me. What is the chance of getting back on the road? Finding a job for me now is a need, not just a desire. I really don't want to run team again, but will if I can't find solo work.

I have a clean DMV, want to keep it that way so I will only run legal, in the 70s I did plenty of modifications of the log book, won't do that anymore.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Your age won't even be a factor in trucking.
    Where is your location?
    You've been working on trucks, so you test drive them, pick them up from customers, deliver them back to customers, right?.....right!

Paper log books will be history at the end of this year. Electronic logs will be mandatory.

Puppage and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Probably the fastest way to get back on the road for someone in your position is job search on Craigslist. Many of those companies don't follow their own hiring criteria. Make lots of phone calls and leave lots of messages.
    Maybe also try May Trucking Company; "Yes, I have a cdl and drive regularly due to my mechanic job. Passing a road test is just another day for me."

jvar4001, dunchues and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  5. almostthere

almostthere Light Load Member

May 23, 2010
    MN
    Go after it sir...it's out there for you, you're age should not be a factor. Lot's of companies looking for drivers.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  6. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Isn't THAT the truth.... "many of them don't follow their own hiring criteria." << Post of the year!

Shock Therapy Thanks this.
  7. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Wishing you the best in your ventures; you'll be back out with us here in little to no'time! ;)

8. Driver0000

Driver0000 Medium Load Member

Jun 26, 2016
    My small company pays full time drivers $15-16/hour.

When we need relief, they call the old "retired" drivers and pay them $200 for a 4 hour turn d&h.

Look for local opportunities. With your experience,you can probably piece together two pt gigs and end up better off than most.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  10. Sling-Shot

Sling-Shot Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2017
    Thanks for all the encouragement, it is appreciated. Sure I have bob-tailed and road tested trucks for years, that is much different than being a driver as you all know. I think I will try posting on Craigslist.
    What few companies I have talked to said they all want current OTR experience and I can understand that to a point. I do know electronic logs will be mandatory soon and that is fine with me, because I did enough cheating in the 70s and early 80s and those days are done.
    One thing, the trucks today are so much nicer than anything I drove back then, we never had power steering, or automatics, air conditioning sometimes, and most of the old rigs were dogs power wise and road like a tank. The first truck I drove was an old KW with a 220 naturally aspirated 220 Cummings. It had browning boxes (twin stick) and no air conditioning. We have come a long ways.
    Some of the new technology that is coming to the trucking industry is pretty incredible.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.