Wanted to ask a question about US Express trucks!

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by SomeWhereOverTheRoad, Sep 21, 2018.

1. SomeWhereOverTheRoad

SomeWhereOverTheRoad Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Hey folks.

I've been looking at going back over the road for awhile. A few things about me. First of all, I don't think I'm better than anyone else, quite the contrary. I will say though, I've done my best to keep my nose clean. I've got about 5 years experience driving, both locally, over the road, with dry vans, doubles, flatbeds and even containers. No tickets, no accidents, clean personal record (I'm super boring and enjoy the slower things in life like Fly Fishing). Because of that, I hope I bring just a little bit to the table.

I know for a lot of drivers the important things understandably are home time, when you drive, where you go, etc. I totally get it, but for me none of those are a factor. I'll drive all night, in the snow, to NYC, to California, I'll stay out for 6 months, I don't care. I'm easy to get along with, pretty mellow person. The only thing I'm get my panties rustled over is that I want a nice truck. The missus will be coming with me (she doesn't drive) and as silly as this sounds, having a nice truck for us makes driving hard for long periods of time (both daily and on a consistent basis) more worth it for me. I like having nice equipment. I hear US xpress has a lot of nice trucks, all around and I know to most this sort of thing is far down the list of what they want, over the other things I mentioned like pay and home time. For me, I really want to get behind the wheel of one of these 18 or newer Cascadias. I'd actually be happy in one of them, a T680, one of the new Volvo VNL's or one of the new prostars but I know for US xpress out of those they just have the Cascadias. I don't care if it's not BRAND new, I just want that new style of truck.

What are my chances of getting into one? What would be a good way of expressing before I joined up the importance of this?

Aside from that, I was told with my experience I'd start at about .36CPM + a .5CPM bonus for not having flipped any trucks recently! Is this accurate? (.41CPM) Also, I've heard about bonuses for HazMat endorsement and heard something about some bonus for staying out for long periods of time? Does anyone know?

Thanks a bunch for any answers!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Keep your expenses low.

Certain trucks are nicer than certain others. KW's come to mind. I like petes and so on, but KW had that quality for me.

Make sure each load you handle you build a savings from that. Refer to keeping expenses low.

For example, Dutch Oven, slow cook Virginia Ham, Small onion, red potatoes, brussel sprouts, chopped onion and a touch of something for broth. Cook in dutch oven 6 hours. Dinner is ready when you are parked for your sleeper time.

I consider everyone should be paid a minimum of .50 a mile. Your .36 is what they paid me in 1993 Probably before you were born.

As far as nicer trucks, you probably will want a condo truck if you are going to be two people in the truck.

Generally passenger Privileges wait until you put in a certain amount of time.Might be 6 months to a year.

Get into something nice as far as freight is concerned. McKesson medicine comes to mind.

SomeWhereOverTheRoad Thanks this.
  4. SomeWhereOverTheRoad

Sep 21, 2018
    Yeah, I really love the T680's, the 660's never really did it for me but the 680 is just an all around good truck. I had a pete for awhile to, a 579. Good trucks but nothing that special about them aside from reliability and easy to work on.

Basically they said .36CPM +.5CPM bonus for no tickets or accidents. I'm guessing that means no reportable DOT accidents at all or tickets in the past 5 years (I have a minor speeding ticket in my own car from many years ago and that-is-all) and not some bullcrap some company might put on the DAC report (HE SCRATCHED A CHAIN LINK FENCE!) etc. which I heard not many people pay attention to anymore. So essentially .41CPM. They said I could expect 2500 to 3500 miles a week depending on how I run. If I could keep it near 3000 that would suffice, as long as I was in a decent truck.

They said with my experience passenger could come along from the get go. I've found this is usually the case when you have 3 or more years experience. It'd be a deal breaker for sure if she couldn't.

But yeah, I was told they have a LOT of these new 18' and newer Cascadias, the newer model. That's what I'd be looking to get into with US xpress, just curious what my chances would be and how to go about it.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ask the recruiter.

IF recruiter says yes, get it in writing. Date, Time and Recruiters name. Take that to your Operations Manager.

I guess in your situation 5 cents for Hazmat is worth 150 extra dollars. Or 600 more pre-tax dollars a month at 3000 miles.

What you can do is set aside 600 a month into savings. Add to it each month. By end of your 12 months you should have a minimum of 7200 dollars saved.

Isnt that nice.

As far as newer trucks. revisit the issue nicely a few times each year. Keep in mind as far as I am concerned all trucks are new to me. I actually love older iron. So if a company had a older natural breathing engine if at all possible.

I am happy you are good to go as a passenger privilege.

SomeWhereOverTheRoad Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The big Volvo’s are nice and roomy. Quiet smooth riding. Wife would love it.Thats what they tell me.

x1Heavy and SomeWhereOverTheRoad Thank this.
  7. SomeWhereOverTheRoad

Sep 21, 2018
    They are super nice, but I haven't seen a lot of companies getting them so far. Do you know of any? I know US xpress is pretty much just Freightliners.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Can't beat them, but many companies (Like mine) order them to look sharp but they are stripped inside. Be sure and ask the model.

9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I thought they had Volvo’s. Used to

10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I would demand a color tv and maybe a coffee maker.

11. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    That's silly. You can make that in two days.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.