Wanting to get started as an Owner Operator as a new driver?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by JWrenn, Nov 10, 2018.

1. JWrenn

JWrenn Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2018
    South Carolina
    Hello All,
    I am sure this has been covered but I am 36 yrs old an am considering getting into long haul trucking. My kids are all grown and gone and I have always held off due to them being home. My question is, is it better to start out working for a company or go straight into owner operating. My long term intention would be to be an owner operator either way. Thanks for any advise.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Start out as company driver and see how you like driving and dealing with the Hour Of Service and parking problem and loading and unloading. All the little things that like living out of truck stops and work 7 days a week.

4. Spyro2112

Spyro2112 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Learn the ROPES FIRST, company, you need the experience for insurance. 6 months, after weigh your options

Cam Roberts Thanks this.
  5. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    , I’m an owner operator. Not an over the road driver though. The first thing you will want to do is drive for a company for at least a year to learn the bussiness or learn whatever hauling you plan to do. I did it for at least a year. Yes definitely work for a company doing whatever you want to haul for a year is a great idea. Get a feel for what you are getting into. Then start doing the math on knowing what the expenses are.

6. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    If and when you get your CDL license, drive for a company. See what its all about. You may like trucking a lot, or it may different than what you have envisioned. Don't know you financial situation, but please don't spend a large amount of money on a truck. Test the water first, less tears of sorrow and disappointment later.

fordconvert and Cam Roberts Thank this.
  7. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    If your 36 yrs old and have kids that are grown up and out the door, then I say your ahead of the game. If you have enough cash saved up then it’s def. better to go out and spend 200k on a nice Truck and Trailer. Truck shouldn’t be less then 290wb, nothing short of 550hp, 13/18 speed, long hood/short hood doesn’t matter, wrapped fuel tanks in stainless so no need to spend your time polishing, time is money. As for your wagon, go stainless with that too, spread those axles out at 10’2. Onboard load scale so you don’t have to spend money weighing your loads. Lift axle on the front, dump axle on the rear, and don’t forget to call the bank ahead of time. Light up the scoreboard Hashtag Me Too.

Roberts450, 86scotty and SL3406 Thank this.
  8. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Work for a company first . If you dont have your cdl best to go to a state certified school or community college, pay for it your self. Dont sign a longterm contract with any of these Turd burglars . A lot of food service deliveries take on a helper , trainee type jobs that keep you close to home . If a otr company says weekends off its usually only a 34 hr reset and run your butt back out . Scroll thru these forums most your answers are here .

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yep as mentioned, see if you can get a cdl first.

10. Gen Z

Gen Z Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2018
    First thing to know before getting your own authority is if insurance companies will cover your business

With 0 years of experience it will be very hard to find an insurance companie

11. towmantater

towmantater Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2018
    Drive for a company first, get your experience. Your first year is always hard to start with, there's no need to add the extra of trying to run a business on top of it. After that first year, you'll have a solid idea of what to expect and if this is what you want for yourself. If yes, then you can continue to be a company driver if you want, or you can go o/o. But you'll be better informed to make that decision. And if you decide after a year it's not for you, ok no sweat. You can walk away clean.

Alot of companies offer a cdl training program. You can sign up with them, they send you to school to get your cdl. Most of the time they have a year no-competite clause within your employment contract usually for a year or so. It's so that they get their money worth for sending you to school. If you leave before that time or before you pay back the loan for going to school, you're 1) on the hook for the rest of the loan and 2) they'll keep your cdl certificate until you settle up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.