Wanting to go Lease Op

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by 8-j, Apr 2, 2013.

1. 8-j

8-j Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2013
    I'm kind of hoping someone will talk me down off the ledge, so to speak. Lease-op seems the only viable alternative to company driving right now.

The trouble with my present company is they just non-stop over schedule me. Every single load is either impossible, or nearly so, with just a few (jewels) exceptions. And it's all appointment. Never a window. Maybe that's just the way of things in Reefer. If I respond rejecting a load, they just tell me to do it anyway and inform them if I fall short. But of course I truly hate falling short.

My problem is, as I try to do these crazy deliveries, I'm really having to push the envelope on my hours. I'm running a constant 62 mph through California. For some stretches I've even set the cruise to 64, because I needed those few extra minutes. Physically I'm just getting really exhausted which is certainly going to cause me to make some mistakes at some point soon. It's not just the hours. It's the insane stress of knowing I'm only minutes away from failing (and knowing this for days on end as soon as I pick up the load). I think I have to quit this company or likely I'm going to end up doing something that forces me out of the whole industry.

So where should I look? Do you think there are better companies to be a company driver for? I'm getting to be skeptical of that.....

I'm thinking lease op, so I don't have to worry about what kind of dispatcher I'll get. I'll just be my own dispatcher. Then I can always be safe and legal, and well.... I can't imagine that I'll do a worse job dispatching for myself than the dispatchers I've had to deal with.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check Greatwide lease/op program. They have divisions all over America. Friends of mine work for the company and make great money running legal.

4. Lone Wolf 1

Lone Wolf 1 Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2013
    :yes2557:Sounds iis running to death,and they are making the fortune.U can and should say the co. name on this forum.Thats what it's for.The only place UR going lease purchase is schieder.Be careful,usually U do what U do now for 300 a week!! Best to buy a truck on UR own.Get UR ducks a row first.pmts.ins.permits.dot auth.p/u @ delv.A route if U will or not.Or multiple good brokers.or buy rights to load sheets.....Sorry to be a headache.But this is what comes to mind.......Just things to consider.Good luck...Truck on! Call Bruce @ OOIDA.I"m stuck with family and Sisters Kids.22 going on 12.So see It can be worse!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  5. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    You won't be your own dispatcher with a lease purchase in most companies. Which is why careful selection of which company you lease on with is crucial.
    Lease-purchase.. I've explained why I think you'd be better off with it than with purchasing a truck outright. And you can benefit from the learning experience it provides, if you choose to do so. You'll still have a safety net, but you'll begin to understand what it means to be financially responsible for a truck. You'll still have a warranty, but, if you get proactive and look at those expenses then apply them to your situation if you were an O/O, you can get a feel for maintenance costs. You can learn to do some of your own wrenching, PM service, etc. - this will be crucial for anyone who buys a truck outright, especially if they buy a used truck which is past warranty.
    I don't think lease-purchase would turn out to be a great experience, but it could turn out to be a very valuable one, so long as you take it as a learning experience. Just as with buying a truck outright, research carefully, make wise decisions, and go with what option you determine to be best.

6. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Quit asap, find a company where safety comes first, not the client . Running 64 mph in CA ? how long are you going to keep your driving license?! I used to pull time sensitive freight for Toyota assembling line, got in a tornado and parked the truck , arrived late, ...and they gave me hard time; I gave them the keys. ; have to use your judgment and common sense in this job.

WitchingHour and Studebaker Hawk Thank this.
  7. Joker85

Joker85 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    Schneider is the only place you'll be your own dispatcher in a lease. They have a 12mo lease to see if you can handle it or you can do a longer lease. Then when its paid for u got Landstar etc

8. starsonwindow

starsonwindow Medium Load Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Run don't WALK DON'T LOOK BACK!! Don't lease Op they will screw you, They will get the truck back with it paid for my you, Go to prison first!, They will rip you every which way but a free ride is not in the cards. I suggest you run. Take Care.

9. Al^*

Al^* Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Kingsport, TN
    Sure, that can happen, but that's still better than being a company driver. Who keeps the company truck when a driver leaves after (indirectly) paying for it while making peanuts and having no control?

But I agree that the OP only has two choices: Either learn how to say no or quit.

Why do so many people act like there is some law that requires obedience to an employer?

If nothing else, a short stint in the Navy taught me two things: Freedom beats the crap out of job security any day of the week and never ever take a job that you would have any qualms about quitting any time you see fit. The OP is a perfect example of this.

Truck drivers may be a dime a dozen but so are trucking companies. Especially crappy ones.

10. Down the road

Down the road Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2012
    8-j

It's best to start saying "no" or simply find another job and here's why.

You're speeding and if you are ever in an accident they will hang you out to dry. Period. If someone dies in the accident,even if it is not your fault but they(lawyers,insurance companies) can prove you were breaking the law and NEVER should have been at that particular place at that exact moment..........charges can be laid and even upgraded to manslaughter......you might go to prison. Drivers will downplay this but insurance companies will do anything to avoid a fat settlement and I am sure your company will NEVER say they told you to "just git er done". You will be all alone on this one.

The number one rule in trucking is "cover your #####".

As for leasing a truck........I personally don't see the "up side" in paying for someone else's equipment while they continue to call the shots.
    Stay a company driver (obviously with someone else) for another year or two then if you feel the need,go out and buy your own truck.

Lady K Thanks this.
  11. Krashdragon

Krashdragon Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Cleburne, Tx
    How long until you're so tired you have and accident, and oh yeah, you were speeding.
    Then you wont have to worry about driving...anything!
    Find another job, fast. You're in no shape mentally or physically to make a decision anout l/o or not right now. At least now you know what questions to ask of an employer.
    Good luck, hope you find something really quick.
    mary

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.