Wanting to go Lease Op

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by 8-j, Apr 2, 2013.

1. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    If you think they are running you know just wait until you have a truck payment ! If you think that you have to ..... Well never mind

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Here's the problem......YOU are running hard to "get 'er done". Hence, dispatch has you pegged for a go to guy. You have proved to them you can get the job done, EVEN if you have to speed and run over hours etc. They don't care ! Hello ! So, as of now, do your runs "your way" even if it means arriving late. Just keep dispatch informed. Run legal, get your rest. Dispatch can Re-power you or re-schedule the appointment. I did this for 32 years, so I know it works. Next, don't think being a L/O will make things easier. You're a gloriefied company driver, nothing else. Try turning down a load or customizing your truck, you'll see.

4. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    NEVER get a truck from the same company that you get loads from.

NEVER get loads from the same company you get the truck from.

As an O/O, you are the boss, not them. They can suggest things for you to do, but YOU answer only to yourself.

That includes (even as a company driver) NEVER letting them tell you such conditions that you break the law to get a load there.

If you can't do it driving a speed limit, simply just tell them when you will be there. But it HAS to be there yesterday? I guess the dispatch needs to reschedule it then.

5. starsonwindow

starsonwindow Medium Load Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Very well stated! Thank You.

6. russellkanning

russellkanning Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Frost, TX
    totally agree

7. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    Change companies... problem solved!!

DriverToBroker Thanks this.
  8. 8-j

8-j Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2013
    I want to thank people for their responses. This has been really helpful. I'm sorry if it's the wrong forum for my specific problem.

The company is Gordon Trucking Inc, out of Pacific, WA. I think I've figured out why this is happening, and I'm pretty sure it's a company wide strategy at this point. I joined on because I could get 33 cpm with only 7 months experience. However the cap is 40 cpm for reefer. Kind of low but it doesn't affect me at this point.

At my orientation, however, I was the single least experienced driver there out of 20. Seems like a paradox, right?

But after talking with these guys, I've found that almost all of them had some huge, glaring, problem with their driving record. My best friend there had 2 years OTR, but he had been terminated from his last job when his reefer threw a belt and he lost a load of ice cream. Another guy I met had only a few points left on his CSR, because he'd rolled through a scale in a heavy haul truck that had faulty airbags, and got cited for each one. Other guys had accidents or tickets.

I think they dispatch us the way they do because most of these guys are desperate enough to keep their job, and have so little to lose CSA wise, that they'll do it. That day when I said I was running 62 down I-5 in California, another Gordon truck actually passed me. I saw another one yesterday pulled over by the side of I-210 in Pasadena with a police officer.

The only trouble is, I think it will look pretty bad on my resume if I hop companies after spending so little time here. 7 months at Schneider, then 2 months at Gordon, for 9 months in total? I guess it's better than staying on and getting some kind of serious ticket or something.

9. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    8-j why don't you just change companies??? problem solved. There are hundreads of better places to be a company driver at, I can't think of 1 single place that's good to be a Lease operator at.

10. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    Watkins-Shepard I bought a truck with money I saved, 20,000.00 and a trailer and leased on with them. Never hear d of such nice people in my life. They let me pick my loads and if it did'nt pay enough I was allowed to negotiate with them. I hauled mostly aluminum, rolls, sheet and extrusions and 75% was 3500 lb or less. They had fuel discounts and would do work in their shops on my truck for a lot less than outsiders. Tires were about 30% off and that and fuel are the biggest expenses. Remember you have , taxes, taxes and more taxes, insurance at ver 11K a year and oil and grease and you ahfe to keep it clean yourself.

There are only 4 rules to plumbing, Everything runs downhill, the boss is always right, Payday is on Friday and don't chew your fingernails. Be a plumber.

11. 8-j

8-j Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2013
    The trouble is finding them. Every company's recruiter is great at making them sound like the answer to all your problems. You don't actually find out what you're getting into until you've signed on.

I don't want my resume to be a patchwork of different companies I worked for a week or a month at a time and then had to quit. But then... .I also don't want my resume to have tickets/accidents/or other safety issues on it.

If I'm going to move again, I'd better be sure this time that I've found a keeper.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.