Wanting to ship my own vehicle

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Flat Earth Trucker, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Is $1300 worth it to you? That's the lowest bid.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2022
    Pep boys is not reputable for anything but parts IMHO!

Might be someone here that could recomend a place close to where it is.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  4. Flat Earth Trucker

Nov 19, 2018
    I've used Pep Boys a few times with no issues. Had a new fuel pump and thermostat installed with no issues. Even bought tires there.

5. PaulMinternational

Aug 23, 2022
    With a 7000 dollar repair bill, exactly what are they saying needs done?

6. Flat Earth Trucker

Nov 19, 2018
    New engine. I had a new engine put in this August. The new engine developed a pinging knock I know is coming from the valves. This was September. A Pep Boys tech originally stated it was likely that a piston had fallen. It's just a 4 cylinder manual transmission is all.

7. Flat Earth Trucker

Nov 19, 2018
    Tell us about your exploding motor.

Dave_in_AZ and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  8. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    Pep Boys just did my neighbor for $2200 for brakes and one suspension part. They didn’t replace everything on each wheel either. Had grease slathered on one pad. He came home from work after only driving 50 miles. I saw his wheel smoking. I looked everything over. Found that issue and everything they DIDN’T replace for that much money.

9. PaulMinternational

Aug 23, 2022
    Personally going with an engine replacement I would find an old style garage where the mechanic is more than just parts changer.

Did you have anyone look at the pinging Issue?
    Timing, or detonation?

Curious aso what the labor charge is without the parts?

10. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Always keep away from Pep Boys. Unfortunately a lot of it depends on how terrible the service manager is.

We had a manager one time we took the car down to get inspected and as soon as we came in, the guy screamed at us. He said I know you have more cars up there and you're not bringing them all here and who the hell do you think you are..

And the hell of it is the cars we did bring down to them one of them we just happened to say hey what's going on with the car and they said oh we have to pull the steering column down... the car went in for inspection and they had no authorization to touch anything on that car.. and we got right the hell out of there. That was the last time. But before that they got into the car with greasy hands the guy got grease all over everything inside the car what a disgrace.

I'm not sure if you have a tractor or not but one idea maybe is to try to find a trailer that has to get delivered somewhere near there or somehow some load you can take someone else's trailer and just drop it and then use a tow bar or a tow dolly and just tow that thing home. You can even rent tow dollies from U-Haul if you didn't want to buy one.

I'm generally not the most trusting person, so my thoughts immediately go to what happens if you get that truck back and it's damaged in some way. Then you have a whole complete other ordeal.

If you can pay for most or all of the expense going to get to where the truck is, then you bringing it back is probably going to cost less than what someone else would charge to bring it back. I get that overall you're not making money and you could have been working but I just would have a problem with all the headaches with someone else doing that especially if it was something that had value to me.

If not, talk to the guys on this site and try to find whoever the most reputable car carrier or broker is and don't be afraid to pay the price to feel a sense of security.

Flat Earth Trucker and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  11. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    After reading all the posts here & your troubles, while it was on the roll back pictured above, you should have had him haul it down into the ghetto, gone back after it the next morning... collected your insurance & moved on to another vehicle. You're putting way too much money into this vehicle.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.