Wanting to work for FedEx ground live in KY

Discussion in 'FedEx' started by DevilDog911, Jan 12, 2010.

1. DevilDog911

DevilDog911 Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I'm 25 years old have a clean driving record with the exception of being rear ended while stopped in traffic over a year age. I live in Lexington, KY I have no experience in trucking and will be going to school for my cdl soon. I am a wounded veteran so the VA will pay for my school at no cost to me. I am looking to see if an Owner Operator or small fleet owner would be willing to hire me on. I am willing to stay out 2 to 3 weeks at a time, for me that's easy compared to being overseas months...LOL. I really just don't want to work for one of these big companies that has high turnover rate. I was in the Marine Corps so I don't need any company to try to paint me a rose garden about trucking and promise me a bunch of crap, I just need to know what's expected of me so I can meet and exceed those expections. If anyone knows any other small fleet owners or owner operator in my area that would hire a dependable, honest, dedicated, and hard working individual that's looking to start in a new career please let me know.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. future driver

future driver Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2009
    You need a year experience..

Unless you work tha dock & work ya way up thru tha ranks then get on..but that may take more than a year..

4. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    You probably want FedEx Custom Critical , the expedite division .
    FedEx Ground is pretty much like UPS .

5. DevilDog911

Dec 26, 2009
    Lexington, Kentucky
    If I'm not mistaken FedEx ground is the one that is 100% owner operator and small fleet owners.

6. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    They are but you said stay out weeks at a time . FedEx Ground mostly just shuttle trailers between terminals .

7. DevilDog911

Dec 26, 2009
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Hey if I'm home more then great. LOL

8. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    I talked to a contractor that my GF's son knows. He has 11 trucks and just bought out another company. FedEx ground contractor.

Bad news, FedEx now requires 6 months experience. He told me to call him when I get my 6 months.

9. hvxjim

hvxjim Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Fed Ex Ground always required experience. It used to be a year.

Now it is six months.

10. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    A guy I went to school with was going to team with a church member that was on with FEG. He got a job working at the airport and probably not go trucking at all.

I remember seeing an ad a few months ago for FE that said they took students.

11. hvxjim

hvxjim Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2010
    You're right. You have to attend an approved school though.

Fed Ex Ground has had issues with calling their contractors independent but treating them as if they were employees.

This must have been one of the concessions they made because I know at one time you had to have verifiable experience, you couldn't just go to a school and start driving for them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.